Comments

• xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
    edited May 2017
    Rabs said:

I've used some Zebrano from this seller... Very nice stuff and some of it quite reasonably priced (shame we have to add the international shipping on to the price)...

PS. This build had its first coat of oil rubbed in before the weekend so should be finished by the end of this week =)

Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader

PS. This build had its first coat of oil rubbed in before the weekend so should be finished by the end of this week =)

Ohhh...  that's real nice..    Makes me want it even more now  :)

I think the seller is a having a sale on 40% off everything, which is why I posted this on here...  Those tops are going for like £23 ish (some are less).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rabs said:

Ohhh...  that's real nice..    Makes me want it even more now  :)

I think the seller is a having a sale on 40% off everything, which is why I posted this on here...  Those tops are going for like £23 ish (some are less).

Thank you... I would happily recommend this particular seller. Very helpful in the past - I've bought other bits of him before - and never had any issues with quality, fast shipping, etc. There are a few Zebrano tops going at "Exotic Hardwoods UK Ltd" but they don't look as nice as these tops on offer from Germany.

edited May 2017 tFB Trader

Thank you... I would happily recommend this particular seller. Very helpful in the past - I've bought other bits of him before - and never had any issues with quality, fast shipping, etc. There are a few Zebrano tops going at "Exotic Hardwoods UK Ltd" but they don't look as nice as these tops on offer from Germany.

Thanks for that man 

So no issues with customs then?  That's my only worry..  With the prices at 40% off I think I gotta get at least one  D  and this sale is only on for one more day.

Rabs said:

Thanks for that man 

So no issues with customs then?  That's my only worry..  With the prices at 40% off I think I gotta get at least one  D  and this sale is only on for one more day.

No problem...

And no issues with UK customs - we're still good to send and receive from other EU countries without duty or fees (for the time being). Just had a look and UK supplier I often use is selling similar thickness Zebrano tops for £60-£72 (plus £6 shipping)... Grab one of these before they go - and look out for my completed build in Made In The UK forum v soon =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
     Rabs said:

I quite like that... You see a lot in the way of Pau Ferro fretboard and neck blanks, but not tops. Sadly, I already have my next batch of builds planned and they don't involve any of these wood species so I'll have to pass too :'(
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader

No problem...

And no issues with UK customs - we're still good to send and receive from other EU countries without duty or fees (for the time being). Just had a look and UK supplier I often use is selling similar thickness Zebrano tops for £60-£72 (plus £6 shipping)... Grab one of these before they go - and look out for my completed build in Made In The UK forum v soon

Ok... cheers for that, good info to know... I will be checking your build out for sure.. I have one im finishing at the moment.. Been a bit delayed but I should get to that this week too

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/93729/new-build-day-black-korina-double-cut#latest

Also have one ive just started which is the African Walnut Double Cut build thread..  Hope to get more done on that this week too.

And yeah I know the average going rate.. I have also seen exotic hardwoods..  They have some nice stuff and some nice cheaper end flame tops.... 

I will definitely have to buy at least one    Now I just have to pick which, which will probably take the one day left on the sale  D  (so hard to pick one out of that lot).

Rabs said:

No problem...

And no issues with UK customs - we're still good to send and receive from other EU countries without duty or fees (for the time being). Just had a look and UK supplier I often use is selling similar thickness Zebrano tops for £60-£72 (plus £6 shipping)... Grab one of these before they go - and look out for my completed build in Made In The UK forum v soon

Ok... cheers for that, good info to know... I will be checking your build out for sure.. I have one im finishing at the moment.. Been a bit delayed but I should get to that this week too

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/93729/new-build-day-black-korina-double-cut#latest

Also have one ive just started which is the African Walnut Double Cut build thread..  Hope to get more done on that this week too.

And yeah I know the average going rate.. I have also seen exotic hardwoods..  They have some nice stuff and some nice cheaper end flame tops.... 

I will definitely have to buy at least one    Now I just have to pick which, which will probably take the one day left on the sale  D  (so hard to pick one out of that lot).

Ooooh... Black Limba, one of my favourites =) Interesting decision to go with the different grain orientation. I find Limba to be very stable so you might be okay with that. How do you find the African Walnut though, one of my earliest builds (a Jackson Kelly copy) was Claro Walnut on African Walnut. I had major issues with large chunks tearing out... I had to scrap it in the end.

tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

No problem...

Ooooh... Black Limba, one of my favourites =) Interesting decision to go with the different grain orientation. I find Limba to be very stable so you might be okay with that. How do you find the African Walnut though, one of my earliest builds (a Jackson Kelly copy) was Claro Walnut on African Walnut. I had major issues with large chunks tearing out... I had to scrap it in the end.

So far its been great..  very similar to working with some nice mahogany.. but this stuff carves better.....  I was told that the blank is from a supply of old growth walnut...  Really nice stuff..

And yes it seems my decision to do the grain the other way is a bit controversial (I did the same thing on the walnut one too)...  I understand peoples misgivings but I don't think there will be any issues. That black limba as you say is nice and stable...  I reckon it will rock  :)  We will soon see.

Rabs said:
    Rabs said:

No problem...

So far its been great..  very similar to working with some nice mahogany.. but this stuff carves better.....  I was told that the blank is from a supply of old growth walnut...  Really nice stuff..

And yes it seems my decision to do the grain the other way is a bit controversial (I did the same thing on the walnut one too)...  I understand peoples misgivings but I don't think there will be any issues. That black limba as you say is nice and stable...  I reckon it will rock  :)  We will soon see.

Perhaps I bought a piece too soft, I was still new to the "from scratch" builds at that time.

Good luck with yours (both) and I will look out for them being finished =)

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    edited May 2017
    So i brought a few tops from this seller last month (been on a self imposed interwebs ban for the past few weeks to force myself to stop wasting time on the PC and do other work/playing so ive only just got around to posting this)

Picked out 5 (3 of which had been in my watch list for about 3 months,2 of which this seller turned down offers of £20 each on a few months back)

2x Black limba
    1x Maple
    1x Zebrano
    1x Black cherry

All in all im very impressed with each of the tops,no tear out and minimal skipping to sand out,sizes match (or are over) those posted in the ad's

Ordering the 5 together equaled them out to about £21 each (inc the shipping) bargain

My only issue was with the packing which was just a single skin of cardboard,nothing was damaged transit but id have expected a little better packing at least around the edges.

(thought i had a few more pic but seems my phone didn't take every click POS)

Laters
    Giz