I would like a JHS Angry Charlie model for the Helix

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
That's it really. Would save me gassing for one and having to shell out £160 and the faff of batteries, a seperate power supply or extra leads.

I demand L6 drop everything they are working on and get modelling one immediately.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Funny you should say that. That's the one type of overdrive/distortion I feel is missing from my Helix LT.

I have the pedal, which used to be in my old pedal board. 
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    I'd like a Valvesporker model.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    It's  essentially a guvnor clone so has it got a model for that?
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    It's a Brown Sound In A Box clone, so if you fancy the challenge you can buy the kit from GGG:
    http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/distortion/bsiab-2/

Or even easier, search eBay for one already built. Check the gutshots to make sure it isn't a total mess though.

As for the Helix, the BSIAB is supposed to sound like a small Marshall amp, so there must be a patch that sounds pretty close.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    It's  essentially a guvnor clone so has it got a model for that?
    Nope

edited May 2017

timhulio said:
    It's a Brown Sound In A Box clone, so if you fancy the challenge you can buy the kit from GGG:

Or even easier, search eBay for one already built. Check the gutshots to make sure it isn't a total mess though.

As for the Helix, the BSIAB is supposed to sound like a small Marshall amp, so there must be a patch that sounds pretty close.
    I want a drive model of an Angry Charlie to use as affect only into the front of a valve amp. I'm using Helix as effects only with no amp (as well as direct) 

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    There doesn't appear to be a 'Marshall in a box' type distortion. The closest appears to be the OCD which is too mid scooped for my taste (that comment applies to the actual OCD pedal as well). Maybe it's possible to get there by adding some EQ or by using an actual amp model instead of a pedal.
    It's not a competition.
  • timhulio said:

This ^ 

Since getting the Fractal, I've found amp models are 100% better than a drive that tries to emulate them. I only ever used MIABs to emulate a JCM800...now I just use a JCM800 model. Shocks me and sends me into heaven every time I turn it on!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    timhulio said:

This ^ 

Since getting the Fractal, I've found amp models are 100% better than a drive that tries to emulate them. I only ever used MIABs to emulate a JCM800...now I just use a JCM800 model. Shocks me and sends me into heaven every time I turn it on!
    Not a solution in from of a valve amp though, but I agree for direct.

There doesn't appear to be a 'Marshall in a box' type distortion. The closest appears to be the OCD which is too mid scooped for my taste (that comment applies to the actual OCD pedal as well). Maybe it's possible to get there by adding some EQ or by using an actual amp model instead of a pedal.
    Agreed, I find the OCD too scooped, I want a little bit of mid push. That's what's so good about the Angry Charlie, it has a great mid range to it.

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3470
    edited May 2017
    timhulio said:

This ^ 

Not a solution in from of a valve amp though, but I agree for direct.
    Ah yeah, didn't think about that. You're right there. If the helix allows you to use the preamp of a JCM800 and turn the power section off, could try that into a clean amp?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited May 2017
    I'm sure I read that the preamp only versions in the Helix could also be used like a stomp box. Might be worth trying?
    edited May 2017
    You can use amp with no cab but it's pre-amp and power amp, you don't get pre-amp only in Helix.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    edited May 2017
    You can use amp with no cab but it's pre-amp and power amp, you don't get pre-amp only in Helix.
    Yes you do!
    look at your Helix!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Although it sounds better using the pre/power combo
    use the mod 2204 with a tube screamer or klon in front of it
    That does the trick
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902
    Is there a Crunch Box model?
    Is there a Crunch Box model?
    You need a Kemper for that
    There is an actual Marshall in the box though :)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    As said...

Just use a preamp model from the Helix. I use them as pedal fx all the time.

• timhulio said:

I want a drive model of an Angry Charlie to use as affect only into the front of a valve amp. I'm using Helix as effects only with no amp (as well as direct) 

Just use a Marshall preamp model. It'll probably do the guvnor/bsiab thing better than the pedal. Don't include cab sim.