Choosing a chooner

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Sassafras said:
    You youngsters. Haven't any of you got pianos to tune by or even tuning forks?
    I have both but it seems excessive to drag an upright to a gig! 
    You youngsters, never want to put the effort in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited May 2017
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    LOL- brilliant.
    A tuner that has no button to mute the signal to your amp so everyone can hear you tuning up.
    Well depends on your signal chain. There are setups where that doesn't matter because there are other ways to mute. Personally I like Boss tuners because you can pass through and leave them on all the time. I've always had a volume pedal down stream so use that to mute.
    Fair point- I've struggled to find volume pedals that don't rob tone though so I've ended up taking them off and using the guitar volume to 'violin in' sounds.

I found since I was running buffered pedals before the DVP1 I used to use everything worked well enough for my tastes.  But if you're using a passive guitar straight into a passive volume pedal then I guess it's expected that the tone would suffer, it's basically like wiring another volume control after the one on the guitar.

I didn't have a choice either way, I was playing parts that I had to swell in/out while picking/strumming.  Using a foot pedal was necessary.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    Don't know how much you can daisy chain, I guess that'd be in the manual, but the TU3 can do either mute or keep the signal on. It is buffered, IIRC the Polytune isn't, so that might be a consideration.

The new Polytune 3 has a buffered option. Buffered is the new True Bypass!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    octatonic said:
    LOL- brilliant.
    A tuner that has no button to mute the signal to your amp so everyone can hear you tuning up.
    It's pretty much designed to be used with loop switchers, though the saving in space is negligible. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I use the clip on TC Polytune, it's absolutely spot on and a godsend for tuning acoustic 12 strings :)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited May 2017
    Don't know how much you can daisy chain, I guess that'd be in the manual, but the TU3 can do either mute or keep the signal on. It is buffered, IIRC the Polytune isn't, so that might be a consideration.

The new Polytune 3 has a buffered option. Buffered is the new True Bypass!
    Yup. Fulltone have just released an Ocd with "enhaced" bypass. The marketing made me chuckle.

Otherwise tu3 for the win.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    I love my Polytune Noir.  Best tuner I've ever had, and have had a lot. Handy small footprint too. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:
    You youngsters. Haven't any of you got pianos to tune by or even tuning forks?
    I have both but it seems excessive to drag an upright to a gig! 
    You youngsters, never want to put the effort in.
    I'ts OK as long as there's room beside the B3 and leslie cabinet.

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Worrying that I read the title as 'choosing a coroner'. 
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2224
    Worrying that I read the title as 'choosing a coroner'. 
    You've heard my playing, then...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Discovery: hold down the footswitches on my H9 and I have a tuner that mutes the signal.

Ha!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28347
    Another TurboTuner vote; I have two and a half (one is at the sorting office) - one for guitar, one for cello and one for workshop duties.

I know not everyone gets on with them (cello teacher regards it as witchcraft and doesn't understand how I can tune with it) but I find them very quick and easy.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    http://www.korg.com/us/products/tuners/pitchblack/
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the pitch black. Good alternative

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited May 2017
    Discovery: hold down the footswitches on my H9 and I have a tuner that mutes the signal.

Ha!
    I really disliked the H9 tuner. Don't know why, I just found it annoying to use.

Much like the H9 in general, in fact!

Ha!
    I really disliked the H9 tuner. Don't know why, I just found it annoying to use.

Ha! I love mine, it's a proper Swiss Army knife. I mostly use drives, delay and reverb, but the H9 covers everything else that I occasionally use. The tuner discovery is a nice bonus.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

Has anyone had experience with the Boss TU-3W?

It's either one of those or I wait for the new Polytune 3.

• downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    Pitch black Custom - it looks like it belongs on the bridge of the USS Enterprise, and that's good enough for me. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

Ha!

Ha! I love mine, it's a proper Swiss Army knife. I mostly use drives, delay and reverb, but the H9 covers everything else that I occasionally use. The tuner discovery is a nice bonus.
    Which drives are you using? I'm thinking of getting the CrushStation. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    edited May 2017

Ha!

I'm using a RYRA Klone and a JRockett Blue Note Tour Series. If you wanted to use the H9 for drive sounds, I wouldn't go for CrushStation. Try Sculpt. Even the EQ Compressor algorithms is good for driving your amp.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited May 2017

Ha!

I'm using a RYRA Klone and a JRockett Blue Note Tour Series. If you wanted to use the H9 for drive sounds, I wouldn't go for CrushStation. Try Sculpt. Even the EQ Compressor algorithms is good for driving your amp.
    I want something that sounds broken. 

This at around 30s 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.