Pet Friendly Burglar Alarms

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Got an alarm, pet aware is an on/off setting, but seeing as the cat sleeps all day it's not really a major concern.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited May 2017
    @hotpot that sounds terrible!!

Imagine having to put an alarm on your shed - totally understand that one, though...!!

I'm looking into DIY home security but given everything else going on, and the fact that I don't want to drill holes into the new house's exterior... I think I'll pay for a professional to do it. I hear pay as you go is much cheaper than getting a maintenance contract so would go down that route. 

Think I'd go for door/window sensors (on all them? Will decide what's needed) and two external lights and a box (+ fake one) on both sides of the house. Maybe a motion sensor in the lounge. I'd get one that gives me a text message and goes off loudly... maybe with the option to de-activate it remotely with my phone! Think I'd forgo indoor security cams lol. As has been said, I think a good few exterior lights and security boxes are enough to put off most scrotes. 

PIR sensor at the side of the building also a good one - good locks have been mentioned a few times now but surely with new builds... the locks are to standard and good enough? 

Safe... I'd have to think about getting a safe!

Hahaha @DLM with the air rifle... 
    Do your lights go on timer or ... ?

@Jimbro66 that must have been infuriating. Similar comment for @EricTheWeary - spending all that cash on lights then getting them knicked or stolen!!

Sorry to hear that @rlw! ;

@grungebob - that little bugger!! Well we'll have big French doors to the back..... Hmm. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Hi Tiggs. My folks' old installation had the lights on PIRs. We had to adjust the sensitivity to stop wildlife setting them off. I'm being serious about the local scum disabling security measures like bargain-basement Taliban, and using children like Sierra Leonean beligerents.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I believe you!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    We have a Yale Wireless System which works pretty well, there have been a few burglaries on our road.

Our alarm is connected to the phone line so it will ring us if the alarm goes off.

We also have a shot gun which would probably work well as a deterrent.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Not much point in getting an alarm system installed if you don't pay to have it monitored.  Nobody gives a blind bit of notice to an alarm going off any more.  A monitored system should have a panic button that automatically alerts the police.

Those who merely fit an alarm box outside their house, should change it every couple of years.  And get one of those metal cage protection covers for it.  The new box suggests that the house is alarmed and maintained.

And as @Sporky alluded to, a dog loose in the yard is never a bad thing.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    It sounds like you have it nearly sussed out now, door sensors on points of entry - get the vibration ones as well that will sound the alarm if they try to kick the door etc. Pet PIRs in the rooms the have cats have access to.

If you go wireless  - have a look at a Pyronix Enforcer or similar.  
    Previously known as stevebrum
    edited May 2017
    I'll get a quote from a local company (IMMS) who everybody and his dog seem to be recommending to me. That's who the policewoman in the band is also using. I'll see how much each component is worth, including a call to the police station if it goes off (but she says that's not always worth it as there's no guarantee police will come out if they've more important things, and if they get called out falsely 3 times in a year, you're scored off).

@Iamnobody good shout on Pyronix!! Looks like that's what IMMS use.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I'll get a quote from a local company (IMMS) who everybody and his dog seem to be recommending to me. That's who the policewoman in the band is also using. I'll see how much each component is worth, including a call to the police station if it goes off (but she says that's not always worth it as there's no guarantee police will come out if they've more important things, and if they get called out falsely 3 times in a year, you're scored off).

Ours went off once when we were out, we left the front door on the latch and it blew open.  Got home to find a policeman's business card on the alarm control unit. Our neighbour had called 999 bless him !  So they do roll-out ... I agree there's no guarantee, but unless there's a major incident kicking off nearby chances are they will. 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    edited May 2017
    @
    @hotpot that sounds terrible!!

Imagine having to put an alarm on your shed - totally understand that one, though...!!

Yeah I'm rather pi$$ed off at present with the lowlife thieving gits that seem to abound around here at present.
    On a happier note the two scroats have been caught according to the local press, they'd robbed a host of work vans too.

I've just fitted a much beefier lock/hasp & put coach bolts through the hinges and installed a battery operated 'door sensor alarm' fitted to the inside of the door.

I've ordered another security light/motion sensor to cover that area of the garden, I just by chance caught a brief glimpse of these scroats a week before they robbed the shed, they were  testing out where  the security lights come on, They ran off when it lit up,  the shed wasn't covered by the security light then.

Cheers @jal.
    @hotpot how infuriating!!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Petsafe alarm, security light and 4 cameras outside the house. Box saves 30 days of coverage on a rolling basis.
    It's not paranoid if they're out to get you!
    Cameras in cages? Buggers will try to smash them!