Opinions sought (Ebay content)

What's Hot
benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
edited May 2017 in Off Topic

Few weeks back someone dropped me an offer on my amp, I countered, he countered and then withdrew the offer - which I would hve accepted if I'd have had chance. Anyways I thought nothing of it and went about my business.

Now the same guy has dropped me another offer this afternoon. Money wise I'm happy with his offer but with the previous faffing I do not want to sell to him and then potentially look at any daft behaviour after the sale.

Yes I know ebay is hell and I agree. Ive completely been screwed over by lieing buyers before now, had hard evidence on my side and still lost the case. I guess thats what has made me wary this time. Absolutely nothing to suggest that this guy will be like that though and so far all is above board.

How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Cash on Collection. No questions asked. Use a mutual meeting point if you like so he can't bring it back. Or Deliver it (take a BIG mate) for cash.

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Hmm I may be onto a loser with that as Ive offered postage in my original ad. Good suggestion though, I'll drop him a message when I get home to see if this is an option.
    How very rock and roll
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    You can vary terms on Best Offers though, if so inclined. I've put offers in on stuff before where I've manually added that I was offering less but would pay cash and collect promptly - I'm sure you can do the same either as a counter-offer or when accepting.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    Simple: list it up on Gumtree. Tell him you're doing the transaction on another site. If he's got form for fucking about, don't offer postage or bend over for him. If he really wants it, he'll go for it there. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    You should not be chasing the buyer - especially not in a Best Offer situation.

The would-be buyer, angling for a discount, earns that price reduction by making things easier or quicker for the seller. Cash is king.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    UPDATE - the guy did BIN and paid full price before I could decline his offer. What do you know!! Today it has landed with him and it has mysteriously blown up after he's tested it. This is going to be an absolute train wreck.   
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 707
    Always go with your gut on eBay - if it feels dodgy, or like it's going to hassle, then walk away :)

Same for anything buying and selling to be honest. All this counter/counter crap etc. falls into what I like to call "fannying around" and indicative of someone being a bit of a knob.

Funny thing, I recently bought various bits and bobs used (furniture and the like) as I'm setting up my new flat. As all the stuff was low value (i.e. a chest of drawers for £30 ... cheap rug, old TV etc. etc.) I decided to test my gut feelings on deals that I would normally walk away from.

Turns out I was proven right on on most of them them. e.g.

1. This bloke sounds like a tool and is going to mess me about - yup; cancelled on me last minute, wouldn't answer calls as I'm stood outside his house.
    2. Someone kept changing their mind and pissing me about; this isn't worth my effort - yup; changed his mind on the price.
    3. Last one was funny - sounded like I was being lined up for being scammed (but like I say, for something cheap). I took another gamble and it turned out the guy was really nice, just had no idea how to communicate with people on email or text.

Meh - your mileage may vary ...
    My only hope is that the buyer had left positive feedback saying that the item was as described and worked fine. I've spoken with eBay and they've said there's no way he'll win the case with that in mind but I've been told that before. 

Hes already logged a return request so I'm not holding my breath. Once this is resolved/finished I will be deleting my eBay account for good. 
    How very rock and roll
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Reading the negative EBay threads on here has convinced me never to open an account.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

Reading the negative EBay threads on here has convinced me never to open an account.
    Absolutely. Win or lose on this case I will be closing mine. Already have the funds on hold in my paypal account. Its scary that they can do that before zero investigations have begun! 
    How very rock and roll
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    ebay= cash only fuck paypal no matter what it says.

@ICBM @Ecc83 Apologies to tag you guys, I was hoping to garner some of your knowledge.

In an attempt to try and stop silly messages going backwards and forwards I have since spoken with the buyer. Turns out that he received the amp, played it for 1-2 hours. Sounds like he played it full whack and used numerous pedals. The amp always ran (very) hot but I have gigged with it for the past 18 months and not had any major issues. He left it for an hour or so, came back to it and switched it on, there was a bang and no power to the amp. He tried different power outlets in his house and still no power.

Ive offered some cash towards repairs and its with an amp tech local to the buyer. My questions are

1. What is the likely diagnosis? I initially assumed it would be a blown valve but I guess as theres no power to the amp it cant be that?
    2. Is there any way I could "prove" that damage a) the damage is real! and b) was as a result of him blasting it
    3. Is he likely to have caused further damage with repeatdly trying it after the initial bang

Generally given ebay's "Buyer will prevail" stance im trying to nip this in the bud. Im gonna get stung but better than losing the full amount and getting a broken amp back.

HELP PLEASE!

How very rock and roll