Steely Dan and The Doobies - O2 London, 29th Oct and Dublin 28th Oct'17

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
edited May 2017 in Music
Pre-sale tickets out today (£85-125)

https://www.list.co.uk/event/769422-bluesfest-presents-steely-dan/#51324-the-o2-arena

A heads-up for any fans. I'm a fan of both, especially Steely Dan, but at the moment, I'm not sure whether I'll get a ticket

@Octatonic, @dindude

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Oh man, I am gigging that night.
    I'm going to try to get a dep in as I really don't want to miss it.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    TODAY?!?! I thought pre-sale was tomorrow?? 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    At the O2.  I'm so out...........
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    And in Dublin on 28th Oct
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    So tempted but I'm not a fan of the venue and I'm not sure it would ruin my love of the band if they didn't play the right set and be on fire.

Honestly, seeing Nearly Dan in an intimate venue holds nearly as much appeal, they are an awesome band.
    edited May 2017
    dindude said:
    So tempted but I'm not a fan of the venue and I'm not sure it would ruin my love of the band if they didn't play the right set and be on fire.

Honestly, seeing Nearly Dan in an intimate venue holds nearly as much appeal, they are an awesome band.
    Nearly Dan are good and I've enjoyed their gigs.

It all depends Dan if you want to hear the same arrangements, solos etc as the records and what you're used to. I know I do and Steely Dan do change those arrangements, solos and in some instances, seem to give their soloists a certain degree of artistic licence, probably as some of the sideman are solo artists in their own right and they let them do their "own thing".

I saw them in the 90s with Wayne Krantz on guitar (great guitarist) but it didn't do it for me and I'm not a fan of Jon Herrington. The guitarist that I would've loved to see them with was Drew Zingg and I think he started the comeback tour in the 90s but was also part of Donald Fagen's Rock and Soul Revue with Boz Scaggs, Michael McDonald and Phoebe Snow. Zingg sounds and plays in the same ballpark as Larry Carlton.
    Have to agree with the above - However Modern Day Doobies put on a GREAT show, so it's worth it for them alone. 
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    Kebabkid said:
    dindude said:

Nearly Dan are good and I've enjoyed their gigs.

It all depends Dan if you want to hear the same arrangements, solos etc as the records and what your used to. I know I do and Steely Dan do change those arrangements, solos and in some instances, seem to give their soloists a certain degree of artistic licence, probably as some of the sideman are solo artists in their own right and they let them do their "own thing".

I saw them in the 90s with Wayne Krantz on guitar (great guitarist) but it didn't do it for me and I'm not a fan of Jon Herrington. The guitarist that I would've loved to see them with was Drew Zingg and I think he started the comeback tour in the 90s but was also part of Donald Fagen's Rock and Soul Revue with Boz Scaggs, Michael McDonald and Phoebe Snow. Zingg sounds and plays in the same ballpark as Larry Carlton.
    Me too regarding Drew Zingg...he was the MD for the tour...rumours over $$ possibly behind the change of guitar in SD but some good stuff on Youtube of that tour.  He's done a few videos for jazzguitarsociety.com worth a look too...
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Got my tickets just now... as per typical, no 'A' block seats popped up anywhere at all, even on Ticketmaster at 10am sharp, but I'm sure they're on Viagogo and Getmein for eye watering prices now.

Stargreen came through with some B2 block though, so at least I'll be vaguely in the middle and near the soundboard... I'm sure as it's a big arena thing they'll have the video screens up.

Agree that the O2 is really not the ideal venue for Dan, they are totally a theatre band, but whatareyagunnado if they only play here once a decade...!?!
    fuuck totally forgot about the sale this morning :( 
    edited May 2017
    There appear to still be vertigo seats available in the 400 tier... for £75 each plus fees (on Ticketmaster)! <!>

There might be 2 decent seats left on SeeTickets in the lower bowl (sec 103, row H) - keep refreshing and trying again, I think I have them 'reserved' for another 12 mins or so on a cookie).

A-block seats are now available too through Ticketmaster Platinum, which seems to be some kind of management-direct ticket scalping site. Floor Row 2 is £220/ticket. Fuuuuk that.

I hate event ticketing.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    dindude said:

Seen that Nearly Dan are playing in London (Jazz Cafe) in October, will try & get tickets for that if it's not too expensive.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    I got tickets for Dublin.  Love The Dan
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    duotone said:
    dindude said:

Seen that Nearly Dan are playing in London (Jazz Cafe) in October, will try & get tickets for that if it's not too expensive.
    Nearly Dan delivers all I need. I'm a lifelong Dan fanboy but I can't bring myself to do the O2 to get that fix...

I caught ND at Huntingdon Hall, Worcester in February and they give the musicality of SD with a passion that seems devoid from my favourite hepcats Becker & Fagan.

I should be at the Jazz Cafe in October.

"Close your eyes and you'll be there. It's everything they say"

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    Love SD and saw this and thought about it - seen them before - But 2 tickets and chances are an overnight stay in London - chances are a shop the following day - 2 train tickets and I thought I won't bother - wish they had a few extra dates around Birmingham or Manchester again - Is Michael McDonald singing with Doobie Bros

In the USA SD recently toured with Stevie Winwood so that would have been some show
    Michael McDonald is not touring with the Doobies at the moment sadly. Shame because he could have joined SD for a few numbers too...
    duotone said:
    dindude said:

Ooh yes, I'll try and get along, great venue for them too.
    I, too, might get along to this ^ as well as it's been a couple of years since I've seen them.
    Kebabkid said:
    I, too, might get along to this ^ as well as it's been a couple of years since I've seen them.
    Let's do it Cos, last time I had to take my wife, and she practically wanted to divorce me afterwards for making her sit through it. It's not really her cup of tea shall we say!
    dindude said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Let's do it Cos, last time I had to take my wife, and she practically wanted to divorce me afterwards for making her sit through it. It's not really her cup of tea shall we say!
    When I took my wife to see Nearly Dan at the Jazz Cafe a few years ago the only way I got away with it was to also buy the dinner option where you get a table upstairs with a view... dunno if they still do that, but keep it in mind. She can drink wine and tap away on her phone if (when) she gets bored of the band. ;)