Bass players with massive pedal boards.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    edited May 2017
    JezWynd said:

Doug Wimbish's board

Actually his small board. And you can't see the twin Mac Book Pros...
    It looks like he's got a whole orchestra at his feet.
    He pretty much does. 

During a Living Colour live set, Doug has a bass solo spot. He creates a rhythmic loop and, then, improvises over it. 

I've never had the opportunity to see Tackhead perform live. I suspect that Doug plays some even more whacked out sh*t on their material.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    I dont think its so easy to generalise these things.  If you play a form of music or have a sound that is heavily effects driven then a lot of pedals may be the way to go.  Equally if you play in multiple bands with different applications.  As a bass player as well as a guitarist I had a sizable gigging pedalboard for bass but it was to suit the songs.  If you think of bands like Tool, etc having a wet bass sound is a core component so its just different straws for different folks
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I saw Steve Hackett last night and Nick Beggs was making some awesome bass sounds with a pretty sizeable board
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I generally use same pedal board for bass & guitar.. I have a line6  HD500 (i know.. ) - for bass it has everything needed to get the sound, bit of comp and a few other goodies, but for guitar i have an additional mini board with some drive pedals on to get a good sound which does into the HD500. All fits in the same case, and easily adaptable. 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I saw a band recently where the bass player was plugged directly into an amp head on top of an 8x10 cab; his cable didn't touch the floor and he spent the whole gig standing directly in front of the amp as a result; he looked like a tit and presumably the band just bungee-corded him to the speaker afterwards and chucked him in the back of the van with the rest of the gear.

I have a smaller board for bass than guitar, but mostly because I don't like modulation on bass. I don't think it's excessive to have a tuner, compressor, overdrive, fuzz and wah if the music calls for it.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    revsorg said:
    I saw Steve Hackett last night and Nick Beggs was making some awesome bass sounds with a pretty sizeable board
    that thing closest to the camera is a foot controller for a synth, its not for his bass
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ