NAD: Diezel D-Moll

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited February 2014
    So I don't know if I already said, but I've done a gig with this amp now. I was also playing with it hardcore yesterday. This quite literally is the amp I've been looking for, for... ohh... I dunno.... FIVE BLOOODY YEARS!@?!?!!! AIIIIEEEEE!!!!

Nah seriously... it's just great. You'd think not having dedicated EQ's for channel 2 and 3 would be a problem, but it really isn't. You'd also think that mid-cut would suck out all of the mids, and that it would only really sound good on one channel. Again, not the case. I leave it on all the time, and the whole thing just sounds really brutal.

I recall going round Jimmy Richmonds house to try out his Axe FX, and loving the VH4 model. He suggested at the time I should just get a Diezel... anyway, I eventually did!

Through my ENGL 2x12 it is a little fizzy, but this is easily dialed out using the presence control, or some post-EQ after recording. Through my Egnater 4x12 it isn't fizzy at all - it's quite a dark sounding cab though.

I've been reading that they go really well with the K100's, of which I've always wanted a quad, so I may keep an eye out for one of those Marshall Mode Four 4x12's because they came with those stock iirc.

The only thing that is irritating me is the size of the footswitch. It's a real pain in the ass. I could really do with a very small midi controller that sends out three program changes; I don't need any banking up or down or any of that shit. Literally just a small box to send some midi PC's to the amp, which I'll then setup as channel 1, channel 2, and channel 3.

I have one of those HighlyLiquid midi CPU things that I've never used, and I've got an Arduino with a midi board too. So I may figure something out along those lines. Would need an enclosure for it though; maximum of 9inches long if anyone can point me in the right direction for that.

I think if I sort the amp controller issue out, I can then fit everything I need onto a single Pedaltrain 1 or 2, and have it in a softcase, and it would be smaller than my current board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    The only thing that is irritating me is the size of the footswitch. It's a real pain in the ass. I could really do with a very small midi controller that sends out three program changes; I don't need any banking up or down or any of that shit. Literally just a small box to send some midi PC's to the amp, which I'll then setup as channel 1, channel 2, and channel 3.
    See if you can find a footswitch for the Randall Nuno amps - I'm fairly sure they're exactly what you want (they can use phantom power too, if that helps). Three buttons, three PCs. I suppose you could also consider the H&K Switchblade footswitches, but I've heard they're a bit less reliable.
    <space for hire>
    Drew_fx said:
    See if you can find a footswitch for the Randall Nuno amps - I'm fairly sure they're exactly what you want (they can use phantom power too, if that helps). Three buttons, three PCs. I suppose you could also consider the H&K Switchblade footswitches, but I've heard they're a bit less reliable.
    I think they'd be a bit too big if I'm honest dude. I did get a quote from Disaster Area for a custom midi controller, but they want £100, that's not including postage and customs and all that gubbins.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    If it's that much of the perfect amp for you - and I don't think I've ever seen you rave about anything to quite this extent before ;) - it may be worth getting someone to look at the footswitch circuitry and build you a small version with just the stuff you want. It shouldn't be too difficult I don't think - if it works like the Fender 'mono cable' system it will use diodes to produce fixed voltage steps which the amp senses to tell which switches are on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hmmm. I could talk to my friend who builds amps, and see what he thinks. That's not a bad idea actually.
    Peter Diezel reckons a custom diode cable wont work. He reckons it'd be better to just get a small midi controller. So... there we are...
  • If it's midi programmable, can you use the same channel twice at different eq and gain settings?

Anyway, I reckon it'll be worth shelling out for a nice midi controller.

And I reckon I need to try one as my ultimate dream amp...
    Just got back from practice... I'm like...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    No one will believe me, and even the band were taking the piss, lol. But this is the one.
    I am suuuuccchhhh annn idddiiiotttttt!!

I need to get me another one of these amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    No one will believe me, and even the band were taking the piss, lol. But this is the one.
    I am suuuuccchhhh annn idddiiiotttttt!!

I need to get me another one of these amps.
    Lol, I saw your comments on the Helix thread and then saw this and thought
    "oh no he didant!?!?" 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.