I don't understand JCM900's BAD REPUTATION - Marshall JCM800 Vs JCM900

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I had a High Gain Dual Reverb and it sounded excellent.
    It was just a different amp to other Marshalls- I found it worked best with a clean boost type pedal, rather than a TS or distortion pedal.
    I also used a graphic EQ in the loop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I've got a 50w mkIII dual master JCM900 combo - it's a bit fizzy. It's difficult to get gig volume without having the preamp volumes up which makes them go a bit bedroomy imo. Even with v30s/g12h's and RFTs my Jet City 50 blows it away.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• octatonic said:
    It was just a different amp to other Marshalls- I found it worked best with a clean boost type pedal, rather than a TS or distortion pedal.

I wonder how many tone "problems" could be fixed with an eq pedal. 

Honestly, I *love* my ge7. It's nit noisy (not sure if modded or not) until you boost quite a lot of stuff at once but it's amazing how much you can change an amp's voice with one. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    octatonic said:

I wonder how many tone "problems" could be fixed with an eq pedal. 

Honestly, I *love* my ge7. It's nit noisy (not sure if modded or not) until you boost quite a lot of stuff at once but it's amazing how much you can change an amp's voice with one. 

A great many, imho.
    I used a Monte Allum's modded GE7 and it was very quiet.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Hmmm, well maybe it was just my hamfisted ineptitude but I couldn't ever get a sound I liked from the High Gain Dual Reverb head in the local rehearsal rooms. But hey, I'm not big on Marshall at the best of times...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310

My cat and I both loved the JCM900...

He wasn't as keen on it when it was cranked though.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    No doubt the 900 will have its day again at some point.

It will only take some up and coming player to use them.

It was not that long ago that Jubilees were hated as they used diode clipping then along came Bonamasa and Slash and they are fantastic again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've toured and recorded with JCM900 dual reverbs, i even played Download festival with one.

The most important thing to remember is that they're Marshalls first really modern sounding amp, they are not voiced like old marshalls and they're totally different to dial in.They great sounding amps though, i prefer the dual reverb over both the SLX and MkIII, i think it just sits in a two guitar band mix a lot better. 

I always used to stick a patch lead across the fx loop and bring the loop gain to just over half way, really fattens out the sound, it adds a lot of low end and seems to draw in the slightly springy upper mids the 900 has.

The 900 is my favourite modern marshall excluding the Jubilee, i like DSL100's too. There are good sounds in the TSL and they record really well but they are a little on the unreliable side. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    timmysoft said:
    I've toured and recorded with JCM900 dual reverbs, i even played Download festival with one.

The most important thing to remember is that they're Marshalls first really modern sounding amp, they are not voiced like old marshalls and they're totally different to dial in.They great sounding amps though, i prefer the dual reverb over both the SLX and MkIII, i think it just sits in a two guitar band mix a lot better. 

I always used to stick a patch lead across the fx loop and bring the loop gain to just over half way, really fattens out the sound, it adds a lot of low end and seems to draw in the slightly springy upper mids the 900 has.

The 900 is my favourite modern marshall excluding the Jubilee, i like DSL100's too. There are good sounds in the TSL and they record really well but they are a little on the unreliable side. 

Hmm I've never tried that, but then I use loop based fx so I can't.......

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    timmysoft said:

Effects in the loop is a thing of the past, you need to move into the 90s mate! 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Cool tip on the FX loop patch @timmysoft . I'll try that on my SL-X when I get it back from the tech.

There must still be enough interest in them if Marshall have done a "Vintage" reissue. The used values seem to be creeping up a bit. You'd see them quite often for £250 not many years back. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    The studio I used to play in had 800 900 and 2000 tsls and the 900s sounded great as did the 800s the tsls were unusable though.
    Hoof said:
    Cool tip on the FX loop patch @timmysoft . I'll try that on my SL-X when I get it back from the tech.

There must still be enough interest in them if Marshall have done a "Vintage" reissue. The used values seem to be creeping up a bit. You'd see them quite often for £250 not many years back. 
    Yeah, at one point I had 4 of the 100w heads and I'd spent less than a grand to obtain them. One of them I picked up for £220 with a jcm800 412, the guy genuinely thought jcm900s had been replaced with the vs100! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    The studio I used to play in had 800 900 and 2000 tsls and the 900s sounded great as did the 800s the tsls were unusable though.

I've had 2 900s (both dual reverb 50w 2x12s) a dsl50 head and 1960av cab, a tsl122 and my current dsl50 limited edition 2x12 combo....my band mate sstill uses a tsl601 for every gig and they all sound good to me, all have a similar marshall flavour. Yes the tsl is the lesser amp tonally but like the 900s i dont think thry are'that bad' certainly not unusable IMO. i hear my band mates much maligned tsl601cranked at every gig we do and it still sounds good. recently sold my mesa express 2x12 andi preferred every valve marshalls drive channel sound to its...
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    timmysoft said:
    timmysoft said:

Effects in the loop is a thing of the past, you need to move into the 90s mate! 
    Ahhh that explains the shell-suit you were wearing. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • manimani Frets: 10
    I used my mates jcm 900 combo for a while, iirc a 50watt hi-gain dual reverb version, awesome little amp.