Pure Comedy

Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 982
Father John Misty's new album. Stunning. Anyone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nobody?

Unreal..... this is quality stuff. Must be one of the best singer song writers of the last decade.......
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited May 2017
    He's great. He steals alot musically from the 70's but is lyrically up there.

Bill Callahan is genius, you should check him out too.
  • I am a big fan - his late 90's/early 2000's albums and his more recent solos records in particular. 

I agree - FJM steals a lot musically. 

For me his last two records have been sublime. 

I understand why people dismiss him as pretentious, but his records really strike a chord with me and have become incredibly important. I find him more consistently moving, thought provoking and engaging than any other artist I can remember - but I guess that his style/view are particularly interesting to me.

He's a multi instrumentalist and an incredible singer. But as a song writer he is unparalleled in my view. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Another big Misty fan here, although Pure Comedy is probably my least favourite of his

Honeybear might be my album of the decade so far
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Moss said:
    Another big Misty fan here, although Pure Comedy is probably my least favourite of his

Honeybear might be my album of the decade so far
    Thats good to hear. Honeybear is an almost perfect record in my view. 

I've spent a lot of time on Pure Comedy - I struggled with it at first but its grown on me enormously. Its a long record and some of the tracks do slip below the standard of some of his better stuff. But its incredibly ambitious and has some really good songs on it - the last track 'in twenty years or so' is one of the best things he's done imo.