Swapping valve for SS - Roland JC 40

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I think there was a JC 77 as well?
    And a JC60. 

Presumably the 60 and 77 would be more giggable. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited May 2017
    I've had a JC-77, nice sound but not as loud as you'd expect. My 15w Matchless clone is louder
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Even a JC120 is only about as loud as an AC30 at the point of breakup. There is a good reason why it's the default model for professional players.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Speaking as a recent convert (only arrived on Thursday, not tried it at volume yet, but for the money it's astonishing good at domestic levels...) I'd say that people are posting the wrong Andertons's video to show it at its best, or at least not showing the full range of what it can do. This one...

...shows more of its range, including a bit of the cleaner, lower gain stuff which amps like this have (for me at least) struggled with.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    JayGee said:
    Speaking as a recent convert (only arrived on Thursday, not tried it at volume yet, but for the money it's astonishing good at domestic levels...) I'd say that people are posting the wrong Andertons's video to show it at its best, or at least not showing the full range of what it can do. This one...

...shows more of its range, including a bit of the cleaner, lower gain stuff which amps like this have (for me at least) struggled with.
    Yup, that's the one! Convinced me, I need one..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    I think 2 x Katana 50's is a great idea,i just happen to have 2 i'll sell you B)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I'm increasingly finding that for me the answer to all amp scenarios is "Kanana 100".  I love mine even more since I took the dorky looking badge off and changed the grill cloth to an Ampeg/Fender style silver.

It's my best ever low-volume practice amp, it's the amp I take to rowdy pub gigs, but it's also now my amp of choice for bigger/louder stages when I want to sound my best.  The price is absolutely laughable for what you get.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JgarJgar Frets: 1
    Have you purchased an amp yet?
    I will tell you a Roland JC40 will hold up in a band and a ska or reggae band no problem. Its like my Fender Blue jr in terms os the volume knob. You turn the volume not even a quarter and your good to go with a band. My issue is having it loud with overdrive. Im not pushing tubes anymore and so my pedals are maxxed and dont sound well. To much high end and shrill at high volumes. At low volumes my overdrive pedals sound great. Thinking of swapping one or both speakers. 
  • Jgar said:
    Have you purchased an amp yet?
    I will tell you a Roland JC40 will hold up in a band and a ska or reggae band no problem. Its like my Fender Blue jr in terms os the volume knob. You turn the volume not even a quarter and your good to go with a band. My issue is having it loud with overdrive. Im not pushing tubes anymore and so my pedals are maxxed and dont sound well. To much high end and shrill at high volumes. At low volumes my overdrive pedals sound great. Thinking of swapping one or both speakers. 
    Hello @Jgar ;

No - I haven't. I've just replaced the values in the Blues Deluxe and haven't taken the plunge yet

You have a JC40? 

I play clean and use an exotic EP booster for volume boost then an Ibanez tube screamer for a bit of crunch for solos. Your saying they behave notably differently when the JC40?
    edited November 2017
    I have a JC40 and purchased because I run a stereo rig and play mostly alt rock and ambient type stuff.  

Yes and no.
    so a boost and overdrive work similar when comparing it to my fender blues jr. Its a low watt amp and when pushed the tubes compress the overdrive pedal and also create there own overdrive effect. The two together is really nice. 

So with the JC40 its 40 watts and can be pushed and my overdrive pedals sound really good at low volume. But at high volume the highs are spikey and theres a shril around the chords I play. So it sounds good to me at low volumes but has to much high end at high volumes. I know its new and the speakers can still be broken in but Im looking into possibly swapping the speakers out with some that tame the end. 

Im looking at swapping the speakers cause this fixed the same problem in my blues Jr. I swapped the lightning bolt with a Eminence Allesandro GA SC64. Tightened the lows and moothed out the high end. 
  • Jgar said:
    I have a JC40 and purchased because I run a stereo rig and play mostly alt rock and ambient type stuff.  

Yes and no.
    so a boost and overdrive work similar when comparing it to my fender blues jr. Its a low watt amp and when pushed the tubes compress the overdrive pedal and also create there own overdrive effect. The two together is really nice. 

So with the JC40 its 40 watts and can be pushed and my overdrive pedals sound really good at low volume. But at high volume the highs are spikey and theres a shril around the chords I play. So it sounds good to me at low volumes but has to much high end at high volumes. I know its new and the speakers can still be broken in but Im looking into possibly swapping the speakers out with some that tame the end. 

Im looking at swapping the speakers cause this fixed the same problem in my blues Jr. I swapped the lightning bolt with a Eminence Allesandro GA SC64. Tightened the lows and moothed out the high end. 
    Thanks @Jgar ;

Appreciate the input. 

Have you used it live? I don't use a monitor when I gig so have to be able to hear the amp. There are four horns in the band as well as the usual bass, keys, drums and vox. 

Whats your band called?
    edited November 2017

Appreciate the input. 

Have you used it live? I don't use a monitor when I gig so have to be able to hear the amp. There are four horns in the band as well as the usual bass, keys, drums and vox. 

Whats your band called?

Not for an actual show yet but I have used it in practice and i dont even have to turn up a quarter of the way to be over the band. Witch is a drummer, lead guitarist and a bassist.
    This amp can definitely get to volumes you need no problem. Its very loud! And the open back helps it sound even bigger! Id go play one in a guitar center or sam ash music store etc. Maybe bring some of your bandmates along. Youll easily hear what Im talking about. 

I also dont use monitors most of the time and Ive had other tube amps and ss amps. This one is right up there in volume with my old Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Plenty of volume and no reason to turn them all the way up. I dont understand the comments about it not being loud enough. They probly never used one. 

My band is called Like a Sparrow. 
  • Jgar said:

Appreciate the input. 

Whats your band called?

Not for an actual show yet but I have used it in practice and i dont even have to turn up a quarter of the way to be over the band. Witch is a drummer, lead guitarist and a bassist.
    This amp can definitely get to volumes you need no problem. Its very loud! And the open back helps it sound even bigger! Id go play one in a guitar center or sam ash music store etc. Maybe bring some of your bandmates along. Youll easily hear what Im talking about. 

I also dont use monitors most of the time and Ive had other tube amps and ss amps. This one is right up there in volume with my old Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Plenty of volume and no reason to turn them all the way up. I dont understand the comments about it not being loud enough. They probly never used one. 

My band is called Like a Sparrow. 
    Thanks @Jgar - wheres the best place to check out your band?
    Thanks @Jgar - wheres the best place to check out your band?
    We can be found on spotify and soundcloud really easily and heres a link to our first single on youtube. 

Your band have anything online?