Custom pedal makers

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I'm sure this has been asked before, but can anyone recommend any custom pedal makers from the UK? I've come across Raygun FX but are there any others you can share?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    There are some on here for starters like @juansolo @4114Effects @badgerific and others I probably should have mentioned. Quite a lot out there as well, might depend a bit on what you want. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I know of @4114effects ...should have mentioned them as I've just taken delivery of their reverb/shimmer.

I'm after a delay. Nothing too fancy but ideally digital with tap tempo
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    First port of call would be @juansolo .
    He's a true gent to deal with.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I know of @4114effects ...should have mentioned them as I've just taken delivery of their reverb/shimmer.

I see why you need to go custom, there's simply not enough options on the market these days ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Not that I'm a pedal maker but digital delay with/ out tap tempo is almost exactly the kind of stuff they don't do. At least I shall be properly surprised if anyone does.

dindude said:

I see why you need to go custom, there's simply not enough options on the market these days ;)
    Shed loads out there innit blood.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    As an effects pedal builder I buy delays with tap-tempo rather than build them ... yes I could build one with tap, but the time and effort involved in research and programming plus the sheer amount of circuitry needed means it would end up being just about the most expensive tap-tempo delay ever made. :)

I can wholeheartedly recommend the TC Nova Delay - decent tap-tempo, presets, modulation, can be picked up second hand and easily modded for an extra preset select switch to make it even easier to use live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    As an effects pedal builder I buy delays with tap-tempo rather than build them ... yes I could build one with tap, but the time and effort involved in research and programming plus the sheer amount of circuitry needed means it would end up being just about the most expensive tap-tempo delay ever made. :)

I can wholeheartedly recommend the TC Nova Delay - decent tap-tempo, presets, modulation, can be picked up second hand and easily modded for an extra preset select switch to make it even easier to use live.
    That makes sense. I have the Nova Delay and love it. I like the idea of a preset switch.. .what do you charge for the mod?
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader

That makes sense. I have the Nova Delay and love it. I like the idea of a preset switch.. .what do you charge for the mod?
    £40 which includes the internal mod and external preset switch :)
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited May 2017

Sassafras said:
    First port of call would be @juansolo .
    He's a true gent to deal with.
    We do a digital delay (though it doesn't sound digital...), but due to it's nature, it can't do tap tempo sadly.

Not that I'm a pedal maker but digital delay with/ out tap tempo is almost exactly the kind of stuff they don't do. At least I shall be properly surprised if anyone does.

Lots of things out there using PT2399 delay ICs. More recently I've been seeing lower end pedals with that are Spin FV-1 based also, though that's not really made a big impact in the DIY world yet.

Adding tap to a single PT based delay isn't an issue as there are circuits out there designed to do exactly that. But single PT delays come with noise baggage. Which is why our delay uses a pair of PTs, which can't be controlled by them sadly. Far more clever people than me have looked into adding tap to a dual PT delay and not managed to get it to work. So it's not something I'm gonna pursue.

That said, I didn't do the delay to sell it, I did it because I wanted to. As has been mentioned, the investment in time and indeed money has been quite a bit more than the 1 pedal I've sold