Best headphone out in practice amp

What's Hot
ErjimipeyErjimipey Frets: 1
Hey folks, 
This is my first message here, even though I have been reading for months and I have learned a lot with your discussions. 
My current situation is that I am but a learner and I'm quite happy with my guitar (Epiphone Es339 Pro) but not with my "amp", which is a Palmer Pocket Amp, given that I only play with headphones (Sennheiser 205,not brilliant, but I think they're great value and like them). With the Pocket amp I don't get the hang of the cleans and the gain is hard to EQ, I think. 
Now I'm thinking about buying my first proper amp to play at home. I still need it to have a great headphone out, as I will use the amp like that 90% of the time. But I would also like to have the (eventual) possibility of jamming out with friends from time to time. I play mostly classic rock like Led Zeppelin, a lot of Pearl Jam and Chris Cornell, and more softy stuff like Paolo Nutini or Glen Hansard (acoustic, I know, but it sounds good to me with my semi hollow). 
I like the demos of the Yamaha THR10 and the Orange Crush, for example, and love the Vox AV15 and AV30 as it sounds in the videos. Which one would you recommend me? I'm open to suggestions, too. And most importantly, which one sounds the best through headphones? 
Thanks so much in advance! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChristopheChristophe Frets: 62
    Welcome. The THR is great through headphones and at bedroom volume but might be lacking for a jam. I rate the Blackstar headphones out sound. The Id15 TVP will do what you want as will the HT-5R albeit more expensively. I've currently got Boss Katana 50 just for home use and it's brilliant - cheap too! If budget is an issue go secondhand. This recently caught my eye https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262972345690
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    I too am but a simple bedroom noodler, I heartily recommend the boss katana 50!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • ErjimipeyErjimipey Frets: 1
    I'll try to check the Katana out, then. Anyone uses the Vox AV through headphones? 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    Another recommendation for the Boss Katana 50, I use mine through headphones and it sounds great.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Sounds like a winner... Thanks 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Welcome back, Richard, we've missed you!

=) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    usedtobe said:
    Welcome back, Richard, we've missed you!

=) 
    Excellent work!

Yamaha, Blackstar, Boss they all have good headphone out  (not tried the others mentioned).
    I'd pick the amp you like primarily and check through headphones after. You may want to make some noise one day!
    Welcome to the forum.
    Yes, I will do it. The Katana is appealing to me more and more... 
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I just bought a Yamaha THR 10C.
    I too am just a bedroom player and up til now have been playing with headphones (I play bass too with an Ampeg combo). The great thing about the Yamaha is that I can get a range of tones that I'm happy with at a volume level that is low enough so I don't need headphones anymore. It is fantastic!
    And just to give you an idea of how low the volume is, I tend to practice when my wife is putting my 2 year old son to bed. In my very small one story house with very badly fitting doors. It is at quiet TV volume level but still sounds good to my naked ear. I'm not sure that can be done with a full size amp as the speakers are just not designed for it.
    Not sure I would play the THR out but some folk manage it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Apparently the new fender mustang gt's have great headphone outs, so much so, they didnt mic them up for the demos, just used the headphone out.
    Thanks for the info, folks. The new Mustang GT40 looks awesome, as well. But will there be a big difference in volume when compared to the Katana 50 or the Vox AV 30? This latter is a mystery to me, 'cause it's analog with valves, so I don't know if its 30 watts are 30 solid-state watts or the much louder 30 valve watts... 
    Are the new mustangs available yet?