Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

gibson es 175 "type"

What's Hot
OK , when I buy I often taken a long time , sometimes years . Don't have the cash right now anyway and starting to consider my next purchase so I can spend time trying and considering. I have always wanted an Archtop and the one I really like the look of is the ES175 . I love the floratine cut away... Though they are a bit pricey , so have been looking to see what is around. I know Godin's are good , and have silly low S/H values. (I have a LGXSA that I don't use much but will not sell for the silly price , I would rather keep it)

Any suggestions of models to try , as am sure the ES175 is a fairly copied design... I see makes like Peerless and others ,but know little about them
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Will you  forgive me for drifting slightly off budget  to mention an Es-175 that I spotted the other day?

Imagine if someone said - "Here is a lovely 1959 Gibson ES-175 for £7.5k. Would you fancy buying it if we took out the original PAF pickups, replaced them with Jason Lollar Imperials, and reduced the price to £2.5k?? I think you guys in the Uk would have to pay more than that for a Re-Issue??"

Would that be a tempting proposition?

Here is that guitar!      :-O

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-es-175d-1959

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Check out the Ibanez Artcore range.
    Very good archtops considering the price.
  • Skipped said:
    Will you  forgive me for drifting slightly off budget  to mention an Es-175 that I spotted the other day?

Imagine if someone said - "Here is a lovely 1959 Gibson ES-175 for £7.5k. Would you fancy buying it if we took out the original PAF pickups, replaced them with Jason Lollar Imperials, and reduced the price to £2.5k?? I think you guys in the Uk would have to pay more than that for a Re-Issue??"

Interesting ,of course to a collector the answer would be no.... but to us players a very interesting proposition . A guitar that old though I guess I would want to play it. The condition looking at the photo's almost looks too good !

Thks Octanic , that is on my list now..Keep the opinions coming
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    TBH 'value' wise, I feel the guitars are bargains for what you get. Used, of course. The only thing that's stopped me going for a used Sunburst 175 is I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with it.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm after a 175-a-like too and will be interested to hear what people have to say.

Peerless are also on my list, particularly their es295 copy. A friend of mine has an Artcore 335 and it is very good for the money. I was impressed. The pickups are incredibly dull though - I would factor in the cost of replacements if I went for an Ibanez.

I'm going to go and play a few hollowbodies today and will report back...
  • Skipped said:

Jeez!
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Peerless and Eastman are the two budget-but-great contenders. The Artcores I've played with a Florentine are either narrower or thinner than a 175.
  • The Heritage 575 is a very nice guitar - I managed to buy one secondhand for very reasonable money. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    The Heritage 575 is a very nice guitar - I managed to buy one secondhand for very reasonable money. 
    I love these in every way except the headstock.
    I really struggle with the look of the Heritage headstock.
  • Vintage VSA-575 on http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagesemi.html might be worth a look

Stone me how the price has risen! It has almost doubled in a year.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Vintage VSA-575 on http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagesemi.html might be worth a look

Thanks , did not think of them . Looks the part, will have to try one ....thanks
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I had an Epiphone ES 175 which was pretty good. I sold it and bought a Godin 5th Avenue Composer GT - I also have a Godin LGXT

http://godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuecomposerp.htm

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Try a Hofner New President. Excellent guitars.

Thanks , did not think of them . Looks the part, will have to try one ....thanks
    They are still a decent price at GAK. I just checked. Tempted myself but i'd want to go down there and play one first
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Guild Starfire III?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    The Ibanez are a good intro intro the world of archtops, good value for money. Anything fully hollow, full depth and laminate is going to get you in the same ballpark. 
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 892
    edited February 2014
    Not a fashionable make, but I think the Hondo HL5 is an excellent archtop - and very undervalued so they can be had for £300 or so.  It's not quite like an ES175 (it's an L5 copy of course), but a really nice archtop for not much money IMO.  But I'm a bit biased... here's mine  image
  • That looks nice .tks guys you have made suggestions I would not have thought of. I have a good list now to try
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    The obvious is to get a Gibson with a solid repaired headstock break, you might have to wait for one to come up but a 'player' grade repair makes a great guitar affordable and if you fall out of love you probably get your money back.
  • And the repair might well be stronger than the original neck before breakage ...