Fallen out of love with my Strat

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    siraxeman said:
    been listening again to Jeff Beck Guitar Shop CD in the car today...no hint of wimpy strat anywhere on that album.........
    And was strung with 9s....

I saw him on that tour - he played at truly staggering volume. His tech tested his guitar before the show and I thought 'Jeez - that's loud'. Then realised that what I'd heard was from the back-line only.... The only pedal was a Rat (though lots of delays and things added at the desk, by the sound of it).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    siraxeman said:
    been listening again to Jeff Beck Guitar Shop CD in the car today...no hint of wimpy strat anywhere on that album.........
    And was strung with 9s....

I saw him on that tour - he played at truly staggering volume. His tech tested his guitar before the show and I thought 'Jeez - that's loud'. Then realised that what I'd heard was from the back-line only.... The only pedal was a Rat (though lots of delays and things added at the desk, by the sound of it).
    See as much as I love that album (just listened to Stand On It, what a track), I wouldn't call it out as a great example of fat Strat tone. 

I'd probably look at somthing like Eric Johnson Trademark for that sweet yet fat gained Strat tone.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Strangely after decades of Les Paul love I am favouring my strat.

I feel dirty.
    This. But I feel oddly good too. Really not connecting with my les Pauls at all now I have a decent strat.

Weird. But I like it.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I love the sounds other people get from strats (Hendrix and Tom Morello have some of my favourite guitar tones) but I can never get them to work for me. My strat currently just has a bridge humbucker in it. I don't like the long scale though, I wish there were more short scale options. 
  • gitapikgitapik Frets: 19
    ellwood said:
    Strangely after decades of Les Paul love I am favouring my strat.

I feel dirty.
    This. But I feel oddly good too. Really not connecting with my les Pauls at all now I have a decent strat.

Weird. But I like it.

I don't know. We fall in and out of love and, fortunately, don't have to pay alimony to our axes like we do our exes.

I hadn't played my Strat in almost 2 months. Totally consumed with my Silo Special and then the G&L. Now I'm back into it.

This thread actually inspired me! Thanks to the OP!

G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    When I was favouring a les Paul copy over my strat a guy in the Rhythm House (music shop in Stockport sadly long gone) advised me to play them alternate days or divide time playing them equally which I did and I soon got back into my strat. Then when I had it refretted and properly set up I played the strat much more.

Compressors are also good and try this set your Tube screamer with plenty of gain and the tone almost all the way anti clockwise switch the bridge pick up and kick the TS in. 
    Don't touch that dial.