Printer advice

What's Hot
antifashantifash Frets: 603
I've looked at recommended printers online, I've read previous forum advice, I've tried to weight up cost vs printer ink and I'm still confused. Apparently my best bet is a recent Canon Pixma, but then certain ones don't do duplex. I'd like to run one efficiently, be able to scan, connect via wifi (PC and MAC compatible), and have decent quality for photo prints. 

Does such a printer exist?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Yep, they do. Check out the Canon range again, 

CANON PIXMA MG4250 All-in-One Wireless Inkjet Printer

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/canon-pixma-mg4250-all-in-one-wireless-inkjet-printer-18046144-pdt.html

Please check that this meets your requirements before buying.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I want a small footprint colour laser PRINTER only. Doesn't have to be networkable or wifi... Am fed up with ink carts drying out on me and sometimes blocking print heads which are 5x the cost of the original printer unit!

Where to??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Keep an eye on hotukdeals.com, they tend to have good deals.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    /\ yep - am on that list... there was one for £39.99 last year but was MASS-EEVE
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Yes, it's big, but it's fast and the replacement toner cartridges aren't expensive compared to replacing inkjet cartridges that dry up quicker than the Sahara.

I suspect that if smaller ones exist, it will not be cheap.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I recently shepherded my mother-in-law through the process of buying a Brother MFC-J5320 inkjet.  I despise inkjets because of their tendency to dry out if you don't use them regularly, but I appreciate that their photo printing is better than lasers.

In our home office we use a Brother MFC-9330CDW laser which is without question the best printer I've ever owned.  And I've owned an awful lot of printers.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    So laser is better than inkjet but a lot larger. Will check HUKD. Thanks for the advice so far.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Wifi connected printers can be a PITA, and most of the cheaper end one its either USB OR wifi not both. Always check a model for availability of third party cartridges or you will end up paying a kings ransom.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Go paperless.

Cos that works.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    @Bridgehouse Yeah, but no. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    antifash said:
    @Bridgehouse Yeah, but no. 
    Good idea. Not.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11317
    edited May 2017
    Go paperless.

Cos that works.
    No!

Paperless paper is too expensive. And you can never find it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Any recommendations on a good small B&W laser printer? Not too fussed about colour.. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have an HP LaserJet Pro 400 .. small for a colour laser and does duplex printing. Great little printer.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    We got a Samsung C43 from Argos - not especially small, but was only 120 quid.  In a year, we have only had to replace one cartridge (the yellow one), but it was about 40 quid...
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    I went through half a dozen inkjet printers before finally seeing the light and buying a small Samsung b/w laser. It's been up and running perfectly for around three years now  with one change of toner cartridge ( good for around 1000 pages IIRC)
    I'll never go back to crappy inkjets where they fleece you on the cartridges and where you might as well go out and buy a new printer everytime you find out the damn thing has dried up again because you didn't need to print anything for a week.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    Anybody tried/ done the maths on the HP ink renewal at £3/month seems good to me. Their maths seem correct to me, we try not to print much. What is laser like in a print one in a month situation?
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    Because they use powder lasers don't dry out so they just sit there waiting for you to print.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    Epson ET-2550 for me, makes a lot of sense in the long run

https://www.epson.co.uk/products/printers/inkjet-printers/consumer/ecotank-et-2550
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5525
    I have two WiFi printers, a Canon MG5450 all-in-one inkjet and a Brother 3150CDW colour laser.
    Since getting the Brother laser (over 2 years ago now) I've barely used the Canon inkjet.