Fractal owners...how do I kill my gas for a Helix?!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    For me the size is a big annoyance. Don't really understand why a multi fx needs to be so big..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    cbellanga said:
    For me the size is a big annoyance. Don't really understand why a multi fx needs to be so big..
    A 2U rack unit too big?

Rack sizing is standardised which is helpful for casing and integration with other rack gear. IIRC both Kemper and Helix racks are 3U, which I think is still completely fine. Racks are commonplace in Studios and in touring rigs.

Any floorboard unit is also going to be subject to practical limits for sizing. For example if it needs 10 foot switches, it's going to be at least big enough to space those out plus a screen.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    just to put temptation in peoples faces... there was a Helix rack and floor board on one of the facebook groups this morning...
    cbellanga said:

For Helix rack you wouldn't want it any smaller or you'd be squishing down the UI screen, which is its biggest selling point. Also the huge amount of I/O on the back of the unit, there's not really any space to shrink it.
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    sgosden said:
    cbellanga said:

For Helix rack you wouldn't want it any smaller or you'd be squishing down the UI screen, which is its biggest selling point. Also the huge amount of I/O on the back of the unit, there's not really any space to shrink it.
    Was referring to the floor unit. I'm on a 9 piece band, that thing on the floor is asking for someone to step into it (apart from me :) ) I'm happy with the AX8's size..
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    cbellanga said:
    Was referring to the floor unit. I'm on a 9 piece band, that thing on the floor is asking for someone to step into it (apart from me :) ) I'm happy with the AX8's size..
    You do know the Helix has an expression pedal, right? That's a decent chunk of it. Plus the extra footswitches (12 vs 10+1).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    cbellanga said:
    I agree - it's handy having plenty of footswitches but there is definitely a market for a smaller unit - I'm toying with getting another amplifire as the size is so convenient for some gigs.  
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    the built in pedal being on the wrong side would do my head in though, I like my wah/volume under my left peg

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    it's been ages since i used real pedals since owning the FX8 so this week I got out my trusty Blues Driver, a Tubescreamer Mini and a Friedman BE-OD. After a bit of nostalgia and faffing about with cables and power i got round to A/Bing them with my FX8 and it reminded me why I bought it in the first place.

I can get 99% of the tone and feel of the real pedals, and the added simplicity easily makes up more than that last 1%.

Lot's of people selling FX8s for cheap money at the moment, they are the bargain of the century for £800...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    What put me off the Helix was simply prejudice. I've never yet tried anything from Line6 that didn't sound digital and horrible so I found it almost impossible to believe that the Helix would be as good as the opposition for the quality of tone. I suppose I might feel differently if I wanted endless options but I don't so I bought an Atomic AmpliFIRE instead and I have no regrets at all. It doesn't give me the options on a Helix but it's cheaper and any comparisons I've seen suggest the quality of the tone is better but it's always a balancing act. What suits me best won't be the best option for everyone.
    The sooner you drop your prejudice and buy a Helix the better life will be for you 
    I kind of felt the same way having had HD500 etc. Got my Helix hooked up to a 1x12 active cab today and had 4 great sounds programmed within an hour, all footswitches assigned and volume boosts sorted. I could honestly go out tonight and gig it direct. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    What put me off the Helix was simply prejudice. I've never yet tried anything from Line6 that didn't sound digital and horrible so I found it almost impossible to believe that the Helix would be as good as the opposition for the quality of tone. I suppose I might feel differently if I wanted endless options but I don't so I bought an Atomic AmpliFIRE instead and I have no regrets at all. It doesn't give me the options on a Helix but it's cheaper and any comparisons I've seen suggest the quality of the tone is better but it's always a balancing act. What suits me best won't be the best option for everyone.
    The sooner you drop your prejudice and buy a Helix the better life will be for you 
    I kind of felt the same way having had HD500 etc. Got my Helix hooked up to a 1x12 active cab today and had 4 great sounds programmed within an hour, all footswitches assigned and volume boosts sorted. I could honestly go out tonight and gig it direct. 
    And I just did again... sounded and felt amazing
    the best thing I can say is I dont realise I don't have an amp onstage. I forget about all that and just play the guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    If Line 6 ever do an updated version of the M9 and M13, with Helix effects, I'd be all over those!!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cabicular said:
    the best thing I can say is I dont realise I don't have an amp onstage. I forget about all that and just play the guitar 
    What kind of music are you playing Cabicular?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703
    Drew_TNBD said:
    If Line 6 ever do an updated version of the M9 and M13, with Helix effects, I'd be all over those!!
    I've kept my pedaltrain junior, If I build it up again I'd happily base it around an updated M9.  As long as it loses the A/C power requirement.
    I'd love source audio to do a multi as well, that would be great!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    edited May 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Cabicular said:
    What kind of music are you playing Cabicular?
    Teh rock
    and some singer songwriter Gretsch twangy background 
    and a Chilli peppers tribute
    and occasionally play mandolin, blues harp and guitar in a wedding band
    usual bollocks after I binned my originals band

Drew_TNBD said:
    I've kept my pedaltrain junior, If I build it up again I'd happily base it around an updated M9.  As long as it loses the A/C power requirement.
    I'd love source audio to do a multi as well, that would be great!

I'd snap one up too. Though its been suggested a fair bit and the L6 guys on forums seem to deny it happening. I imagine for the pricing they're aiming people at the LT for a while now.