Anyone got any experience with Birkbeck?

Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
I'm contemplating my life options, and one of those is part-time studying. I'm looking at Birkbeck and was wondering if anyone had ever been or had any experience with them?

Is a degree from Birkback or other part-time/night-school institutions a worthwhile pursuit - more accurately, are they worth more than shitty BA from Middlesex university!?! Depends on the subject I suppose.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited May 2017
    Yes.

First, I did a Diploma in Web Application Development at Birkbeck some years back. Completely modular so I could fit it round work. It turned my life round tbh - I earned a good living from the skills I learnt during the course.

Then the following year I did an MSc in Computer Science there, part time, 3 evenings per week. That led to my PhD and a career in machine learning/NLP.

Like any course it is what you make of it - you won't be spoon fed. But the fees are reasonable, you get access to all the University of London resources, plus benefit from a student card with the associated discounts etc.

Birkbeck is very highly regarded as it is the place where motivated career-changers or professionals updating their skills go to study. There isn't really anywhere else like it.

Way better than Middlesex I reckon (I also did a few short courses there, bit of a waste of time tbh)
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    My other half is studying part-time with them (psychology and neuroscience) and all seems to be well.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28415
    They have on occasion been a customer of my employer.

They have, I believe, about the best reputation for part time degrees.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    I guy I used to work with did a Media Studies degree there a few years ago. He loved it and said the lecturers were supportive and the courses interesting.

It didn't seem to interfere too much with things and he was still working with us full-time, had 2 children under 5 and his wife was also working and things worked out.

He rated the lecturers and said it's a bit of a haven for mature students.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm mulling on doing something next year. I don't know what, but something that will improve my employability in a different field. I just don't know where to go - I have a lot of vague interests, but music has been such a big part of my life that in other respects I kinda feel dead inside!!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    @Drew_TNBD I'm in the same boat. I worry about getting some new qualification but just having no experience thrown at me all the time.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I'm mulling on doing something next year. I don't know what, but something that will improve my employability in a different field. I just don't know where to go - I have a lot of vague interests, but music has been such a big part of my life that in other respects I kinda feel dead inside!!
    I felt the same way a number of years ago, I got out of retail, trained up and now have a job I love that pays enough to support my family. 

Go get it man. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.