What's Hot
13»

Comments

• bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    A few Wows there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Private Stock! ;)
    Hopefully, if PRS is reading this, he will introduce a range of guitars that replicate the older ones with different degrees of ageing. All the fans of old ones can buy new ones that look old for three times the price.  Do you think that would catch on?
    I recall him been asked about this at the Experience seminar and he said no way - He added 'that the reason we fit strings to a guitar is so that you can play them - So please play them and they will age naturally'

As far as used guitars go I find that sometimes even a minor graze can often be a big negative to  a potential buyer on a PRS - yet on a Fender or Gibson it is generally not seen as a negative at all and in fact it is often see as part of the character of a used guitar
    Really I was highlighting what an unlikely success story the Custom shop stuff has been.  I have a CS tele and love it. However, I cannot imagine how anyone could bring themselves to take a belt sander to a PRS.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    @strat54 - thanks for pics/info - I forgot about the Throwbacks in 2011- all for Guitar Centre I recall

I sold 3 or 4 RH2010 - something about them I liked but I can see why many won't

@bacchanalian - I think even Fender are amazed how long the aged C/Shop 'craze' has gone on for and 2016 was the best year yet regarding sales - Somehow the workman like vibe of a Fender works when it is aged - the working class roots or whitevan man approach - PRS are to 'posh' to be like that, certainly as a new instrument
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    @strat54 - thanks for pics/info - I forgot about the Throwbacks in 2011- all for Guitar Centre I recall

I sold 3 or 4 RH2010 - something about them I liked but I can see why many won't

@bacchanalian - I think even Fender are amazed how long the aged C/Shop 'craze' has gone on for and 2016 was the best year yet regarding sales - Somehow the workman like vibe of a Fender works when it is aged - the working class roots or whitevan man approach - PRS are to 'posh' to be like that, certainly as a new instrument
    Especially amazing considering that the RELIC thing was originally meant to be a limited production edition of 100 Nocasters and 150 Stratocasters only!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

I drive a white van for my hands on job.

Do I have to give my Prs back and get a Tele? 

(Assuming join a pub covers band and abandon all hope in life goes without saying)

;) 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader

(Assuming join a pub covers band and abandon all hope in life goes without saying)

;) 
    sure do - sorry about that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

;) 
    sure do - sorry about that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ok.....sniff. 

Ill pop by the shop later, hope you can help me out, I'll be learning Mustang Sally in the meantime. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I have a 90 Standard, 93 EG III, 94 Artist II, 2002 Single Cut and a 2010 ME II 25th Anniversary.  They are all nice guitars, apart from the pickups.  All mine have BareKnuckles on them, which I think makes them great guitars.  I think there isn't much difference between all of them, though my Standard and EG have thinner necks than all the others.  The ME was modified in PRS's custom shop, and has the signature switching and was refinished in Eriza Verde green, which you really have to like to enjoy (I do and bought this partly because of the colour).  I changed the wiring to give me series/parallel switching for each pickup, with BKP VHII's.  Probably this is my favourite, but the rosewood neck might have something to do with it, rather than the age.

So for me, it is really which one you like to play, rather than the age. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2017
    I've owned a 98 & 2002 McCarty, A 2000 Custom 22, a 2014 Custom 24 Floyd and a 2002 CE24. 

The 2014 Custom 24 Floyd is the best balanced & well made of all of them.

This bullshit gets created by chancers. It goes on everywhere. When I was looking at buying a Yamaha SG1000. I was told that 1981 is the cut off point for a decent one. This is bullshit as I've already played guitars from 1977 through to 2003. I know that there no magical quality fairy in Yamaha that died sometime in November 1981. It's just crap.

The golden age of guitar making is now. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    The pre factory guitars or as said here really it was a small factory are very nice guitars and a lot of things that went into those in terms of materials are harder to come by these days. As much as I own an 89,newer PRS are better on most aspects of hardware. I like HFS and Vintage Bass on mine but there are plenty who would love a set of more modern PRS pickups like 58/08 etc. Same with tuners, trems etc. You then get into the cork sniffing areas of saddle inserts nut material different neck joint, different carve, etc etc. PRS have always been a work in progress and over the years they keep evolving to reduce the variances and make it so the guitar you buy today means your chances of getting a lemon far less than having to try out 20 of the competitions guitars to find one with good resonance and sustain.  

So as most old PRS owners have said largely hype like lawsuit etc
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The point is that when he was working from his workshop he used to apply the 'Secret Sauce' by hand with wire wool and finish it off with a soft polishing cloth.