Any fans of Sci-fi films here?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• HoofHoof Frets: 561
    Myranda said:
    Hoof said:
    Prometheus is still the 3rd best Alien film.
    I'd say covenant is better... and it's not great. But Alien 3* is definitely better than Prometheus ...

Arguable I'd say that Alien 3 is a better sequel than Aliens because both 3 and Alien are suspenseful horrors, with Aliens being an action-sci-fi-war film with the same antagonist and protagonist as the other two, but virtually no element of horror (you could replace all the aliens with enemy soldiers and most scenes would be the same)... as such Resurrection is a suitable sequel to Aliens as it too is a sci-fi heavy action flick rather than a horror.

Now as individual films on their own merit, sure, Aliens is better than 3 ... the above paragraph is merely comparing the types of movies and so their suitability as sequels. Alien was all about the tension, the fear, the who-will-die-next-and-how-factor, the alien is rarely shown... 3 had that in spades... Aliens had gung-ho marines doing the shooty shoots against aliens we see a lot of (and why? Weyland Utani definitely want specimens for bio-weapons ... why send shooty marines?) lots of big explosions, gun fights and a punch-up with a queen, it's certainly spectacular and flashy, but the other too are not, they're dark and foreboding, creepy and insidious. Alien and 3 have elements of that primal-fear-of-the-dark that dwells in our animal brain, where any shadow can be our foe (3 even has Ripley smash a pipe that looks a lot like the aliens head only to find it behind her!) proper examples of how a film can be scary rather than the current standard of quiet-quiet-LOUD-NOISES-jumpscare we are subjected to in every film now that wants to call itself horror... Aliens, on the otherhand had exploding drop ships, and gunfights in areas that a simple 30 second explanation would have prevented...

That's partly why Covenant disappointing - the music cues are all Alien, the prologue released a few months ago was very suggestive of Alien similarities ... then the actual film was more Aliens spectacular explosions and gun fights, than it was about trying to run away from a thing that's stalking them from the darkness.

*specifically the Directors Cut that wasn't so butchered by the studio
    Good points. I think I need to give 3 another watch. It's been years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    edited May 2017
    Mad Max normally a fan of Tom Hardy but had he even seen any originals???
    Mad Max - Fury Road isn't a remake, if anything it is a sequel.  

It was directed by the guy who directed the first Mad Max film. 
    Then no excuse. It was a pile of poo. 

He brought none of the 'decent into madness' that Gibson had. 

In a way its visually stunning film, but honestly if they hadn't just left out Hardy completely from all scenes it would be no less of a film.

You're wrong. All the time. 
    Haha
    I can't argue with that. 

By the way I think you are a fabulous human. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3587
    professorben said:
     honestly if they hadn't just left out Hardy completely from all scenes it would be no less of a film.

That applies to all of his films. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clifford the big red dog and Eastenders are current faves.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6286

When i think of great sci fi I think 2001, Alien, The thing, Blade Runner, Terminator, Star Wars....

I havent seen a sci fi film in the last decade I would put up against those.

Interstellar, The Martian and Moon all jump immediately to mind as excellent sci-fi movies which are almost universally liked. All of them are much, much more than visual effects. Personally I really liked Sunshine as well but that one seems a bit divisive. There are plenty of modern movies that are turkeys (as with 80s/90s movies) but I think, as works of cinema, the best stand alongside the old ones coloured by nostalgia, if not in front.

Do the Marvel movies count as sci-fi? They have space in them. The first Iron Man was pretty amazing, ditto the first Avengers. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are definitely sci-fi and much loved.

Moon IMO is very good, and I think the main reason (aside from Clint Mansell's ace score) is that it was done on a low budget and had a 70s feel to it, like Silent Runnings etc. It relied on film craft and a good story, not FX and bluster.

I thought the Martian was OK, but thought Inerstellar was overblown guff.

Also a big fan of Sunshine - Danny Boyle rarely does a duff film does he?

If Marvel count, I'd have them all in there.

I thought all 3 of the new Star Trek films were good though, particularly the first and second.

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1222

I'd add Uncanny to the list. Made before Ex Machina but released after, the plot is almost identical but with the AI's gender reversed. Absolutely loved this film, acted superbly, great tension and some real subtle yet disturbing moments.

It's on Now TV atm, well worth a watch.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28382
    Aliens 3

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Oh you silly man.

:)