Anyone live in Nottingham? Help needed with gumtree sale

What's Hot
jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2470
I have a guitar on Gumtree and have a guy interested who lives in Nottingham which is miles away from me. He won't pay by bank transfer and wants to pay by PayPal so he's covered which is understandable but that doesn't really cover me as a seller as he can reverse the payment or claim it never arrived. 

Anyone here fancy helping me out? I could ship it to you and he could collect. I know it's a big ask but I also know there are some lovely people on here. 

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• milambermilamber Frets: 118
    You are covered by Paypal Seller protection as long as you ship it by a trackable method. It's only if he collects and pays by Paypal you might have a potential risk. The biggest risk to you is damage in transit, but that applies whether you ship direct to the buyer or a third party.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3751
    milamber said:
    You are covered by Paypal Seller protection as long as you ship it by a trackable method. It's only if he collects and pays by Paypal you might have a potential risk. The biggest risk to you is damage in transit, but that applies whether you ship direct to the buyer or a third party.
    Are you covered against Chargebacks?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2470
    milamber said:
    Are you covered against Chargebacks?
    That's what I am worried about..
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    I'm not in Nottingham but I'm only an hours drive up the m1, if that's any good?
    I'm not in Nottingham but I'm only an hours drive up the m1, if that's any good?
    Very good of you but I think he's a student with no car, thanks though
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14435
    In my opinion, the proposed arrangements are unnecessarily complicated. The onus should be on the would-be purchaser to pay in a way that you consider acceptable. The would-be purchaser "earns" the right to reject the guitar by viewing it in person. 

In other words, cash on collection. 

If the would-be purchaser cannot afford to travel to view the guitar, it follows that he or she cannot really afford to buy it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    In my opinion, the proposed arrangements are unnecessarily complicated. The onus should be on the would-be purchaser to pay in a way that you consider acceptable. The would-be purchaser "earns" the right to reject the guitar by viewing it in person. 

In other words, cash on collection. 

If the would-be purchaser cannot afford to travel to view the guitar, it follows that he or she cannot really afford to buy it.
    This: I'm in Nottingham, but the whole thing has "shady" written on it. My missus sold some china online recently & the buyer sent us a badly photoshopped image of a broken pot, followed by a link to an insurance claim where they were making a false declaration of value.

if something is hairbrained or complicated it's usually bullshit. Just avoid buyers like that. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I agree with you, have told him come and get it or no deal! Thanks everyone.
    It just sold on eBay to another buyer, sorted!!
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    It just sold on eBay to another buyer, 
    Glad your sorted mate.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    It's good advice to just move on when "potential buyers" start making requests like this if you want an easy life.