Amplitube users - getting a good sound?

BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
Since swapping from modelling amp to amp sim (Amplitube) I have no regrets other than the fact that I'm struggling to get crunchy/distorted sounds that I like. 

Cleans are decent but a lot of heavier stuff is REALLY muddy sounding. I think it's something to do with the myriad options for volume/gain.

For example on the Scarlett 2i2 there is the gain as well as the monitor volume, then obviously there's the volume control on my speakers as well as the options within Amplitube itself - input volume, output volume and master volume as well as volume or gain (or both) on the various amps. 

Its a little better through headphones than my monitor speakers but not massively so, and either way I really don't like playing with headphones. 

I expect it's something to do with the balancing of these various volumes but anyone found themselves in the same boat and care to share any ideas?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's all about cab and mic choice
    thats where your biggest variances can be (assuming your signal path is ok)
    Sm57 pointed towards the cone and move it around till you like it 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks that's really helpful. I've mostly been using presets and playing around with the amp settings rather than cab and mic. 
    I've had everything on 12 o clock pretty much aside from the monitor volume on the Scarlett and the volume on the guitar which have been pretty much right up. 
    Don't be shy about setting up a couple of amps and mixing them how you like
    also a low gain high level drive pedal also tightens up the amps
    Yeah I've barely scratched the surface to be honest! Sure you can lose countless hours tweaking things! 
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Always keep an eye on the input/output meters. Set your interface gain so that it doesn't clip even while strumming super mad a la Helter Skelter (but not anemic enough that it barely pushes into the green). Next up, Amplitube input gain: same. At this point I'd set the amp levels (gain and volume) pretty much like a real amp and start monitoring the Amplitube output - if it's getting too close to red, back that off a bit and then play around with the amp controls some more. I'd adjust the overall volume via the interface volume and/or speakers. Then as pointed above experiment with cabs and mics!

All the above usually gives me a good base and I'm usually careful not to tweak it further later. That way plugging in different guitars results in realistic differences (rather than having a vintage strat with the input boosted to death, or a les paul barely pushing the sim)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    Forgot to add: using the method above I prefer keeping the sim input gain close to 0db and adjust gain via the amp and volume via both the sim output and eventually the interface output. I find that's what preserves the character of individual axes the best, but your mileage may vary
    Thanks Greg. Very helpful. 

I thunk my room my also be a factor. It loses a certain mudiness the more I crank up the volume on the monitors but I'm playing in a bedroom in a small house so there's only so far I can go! 
    In all fairness it could very well be the monitors themselves and the room acoustics as you say. What monitors are you using?
    Mackie CR3s. The smallest ones I could find!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1212
    I find it different to balance all the gains and masters as well as those on my interface (Komplete Audio 6).

I never use the Amplitube presets as I've never found one I would use in it's original state.

I like a bit of reverb/ambience but find the delivered amp and digital reverbs way too prominent, even at tiny amounts (2-3% mix). I get better reverb sounds using the room mics on the cab and setting them for "large studio" or "hall" - it seems easier to mix in just enough wet sound that way.

As @Cabicular says, it's all about the cabs/mics. I love using 2 mics and messing with the placements to get moderate degrees of phase cancellation and even a bit of a comb filter effect. This seems to take out the mud but leave enough "oomph".

I think you learn a lot about the recording process with these packages, particularly when layering guitar parts. A sound that's great in isolation is often muddy mess in a track. Conversely, something that sounds very mid-heavy and "honky" can sit perfectly in a mix.
    Thanks @Basher really helpful! Think I'll spend the weekend tweaking. And then I might mess about on Amplitube :)