SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Suhr Modern Antique (aged vintage white)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24685
    Wow!

Very red. And lovely!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OOOOooooohhhh yes.... that's plenty of red.

How would you compare the set neck with the bolt on?  What are the differences in terms of tone... sustain... compression... etc?

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3329
    edited March 2014

How would you compare the set neck with the bolt on?  What are the differences in terms of tone... sustain... compression... etc?

Hard to compare directly to the Antique Modern (basswood/maple). I have owned a mahogany/maple Modern before and the maple cap seems to add some more sparkle. The Antique Modern is spanky...lots of delicate tones if you go exploring.

So I would say that, the guitars being identical apart from woods and neck joint, the set neck is smoother(?) whilst the antique is more articulate. You probably feel it more than hear it.
  • Yeah... I'd like to try a Suhr set neck some day.  I always think a set neck guitar has more compression and less attack versus a bolt on.... so better suited to some types of rock etc.

I'm sure there's a Suhr in my future.... but which one?  Haven't had much opportunity to try them.  Can I ask why you let the Modern Antique go?

• Well, I've got a bit of seller's remorse already: made the mistake of plugging it in for the set neck comparison the other day ;)

It's an incredible sounding guitar...I'm on a self-imposed one-in, one-out policy (should be a guitar coming in soon)...so, already having the 'super strat' thing covered and being more of a mahogany/rosewood guy, this was the one I had bonded with least... I guess.
  • OMG... sorry... hope my talk of comparisons hasn't given you any heartache!!!

Just think of the nice shiny thing you're replacing it with.  I'm guessing it'll be a quality item... if you've moved a Suhr on to make way for it.  Care to tell?

For the record, I was very tempted by your Antique Modern... but couldn't see an opportunity to get up to Lincoln for a few weeks... so I didn't want to waste your time.

• CS Nocaster hopefully ;)
  • Truly... I have never encountered a CS Nocaster that didn't absolutely sing!!!  (and I've played quite a few of them).  I think the massive neck has something to do with the resonance they have.  Congrats.