No more Blues Cube love?

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
edited May 2017 in Amps
A little while back,  the Roland Blues Cube was a bit of a forum darling but I'm only seeing threads on it's cheaper Katana cousin lately - has the Katana improved on the Blues Cube or is the Blues Cube still a valid choice? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I think the Katana is more flexible and cheaper, plus it has all amp models from GT100 in it.  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    I think the Katana makes the Blues Cube look a bit pricey.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    edited May 2017
    As Harry Hill would say, "There's only one way to find out..." 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder what those plug in things of the blues cube are all about? 

As in, are they circuitry or do that just allow digital software to do another trick? Like a physical password to unlock a new thing. 

In any case, the Katana has hidden stuff in it too. Just made me wonder a bit I suppose. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I wonder what those plug in things of the blues cube are all about? 

As in, are they circuitry or do that just allow digital software to do another trick? Like a physical password to unlock a new thing. 

In any case, the Katana has hidden stuff in it too. Just made me wonder a bit I suppose. 

I think they are effectively memory cards which supply parameters to the Dsp. 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

I bet someone will reverse engineer them and come up with a way to programme your own patches into the Tone Module.  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader

I don't think they are even that. 

I think they are just software unlocks.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    Ever since amp trend setter, @wazmeister, got rid of his blues cube, nobody's interested in them anymore. :0)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9574
    They are cracking little amp; grea value for money
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    I'm loving mine still, I wouldn't even think of turning a valve amp on at home anymore since getting it.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited May 2017
    The Tone capsule thing put me off. I recall reading on one of the Katana threads a Boss guy stated the Blues Cube has a plywood cabinet and discrete component power stage whereas the Katana is cheaper MDF and Integrated Circuit power stage.  Also, the Katana can get that EL34 voiced sound without reverting to pedals which was Boss's aim.  The Blues Cube is 6L6 voiced.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I tried the blues cube when they first came out, thought they sounded a bit shit. Katana sounds great at a fraction of the cost.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I have to say I was gassing for one for ages. However got ticked off with all the waiting for it to launch. Tried one eventually against a valve amp and it didn't quite do it for me personally :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited May 2017
    I'm very happy with the sound (and weight) of my Blues Cube Artist 1x12, plus how it sat well in a live band context. I must try a Katana sometime to see how it compares.

I prefer it to my previous amps which were a Victory V40 and a Fender Hotrod Deluxe 3.

I recently had a guitar playing get together with a mate who had a Carr Rambler and a Red Plate (not sure which model). We weren't focusing on comparing amps (more on playing) but the Blues Cube didn't seem to be obviously outclassed.

It's not a competition.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Still happy with mine.