Helix reverbs?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28388
    I like the particle 'verb. But it'd be nice to have a T-Rex Room-mate style modulated reverb. And a trashier spring reverb like the Space Echo one.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    It's a shame that the reverbs and delays are not quite there yet. I'm sure they will get there though with FW updates. 

As an aside, I wish Fractal would put more time into effects (recent compressor updates aside), but I have no beef with the delays or reverbs on the Axe FX, they are sublime.
    The delays on the Helix are great. What makes you think otherwise?
    Ive tried them. The delays were better than the reverbs but not as good as I'd hoped they'd be.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Wow.

Just placed the Big Sky and Timeline into 'FX Loop 1' - incredible sounds, I can move them anywhere on the Helix 'board' AND even adjust mix, etc etc

The Helix LT, effects aside, even looks like a replacement for the Gigrig G2.

Love it.

Not wanting to argue - but I think this is missing an important point (or potentially important).

I have a G2 with a lot of strymon etc, and I love it - sounds transparent and is easy to use.

I've spent several hours playing on Helix and Helix LT - and it's tempting, it's a good unit and maybe I would have got one if I didn't have the G2.

But - I think the Helix effects are slightly weaker than the amps - I found the amps very impressive, but for me the drives, delays and reverbs were ok - but not as good as I'd hoped, sure it will come because that has to be easier than amps.

A key difference in the Helix though is A/D conversion - so I use a Helix as my main pedal board, and then put four pedals in four different loops, if I just have two of those loops on - the signal flow will include at least 6 A/D or D/A conversions. Plus whatever the pedals you use add.

Now given how good converters are, maybe that's not a problem - I don't think many people will notice the latency, but it and conversion is there.

As I said - maybe that's an old fashioned view point, but that's a lot of conversion - and the G2 is purely analogue, so no conversion.

For some people that's important, for some it's not - but I don't see (and I'm sure Line 6 don't either) the Helix in the same space.

It's amps are amazing, it's easy to use and flexible - but I for one would prefer to keep it in the box rather than coming in and out through the converters.

No argument intended just a different view.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28388
    edited May 2017
    There were numbers on the latency for the unit and the loops, and it was very, very low even with them all engaged.

I do agree though that if you're using all four loops regularly (ie not just for speciality effects) then the Helix may not be hitting the spot for you. I've not put anything in the loops since I got it (apart from a patch lead to do feedback loops with). For me it was apparent pretty much straight away that the Helix would do enough well enough that I wouldn't need anything else.

I also have a suspicion  that there'll be more reverbs and delays added in future firmware - they've already added to the lists since initial release.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."