Are phones designed to only last the contract length?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    DefaultM said:
    I don't update the firmware so I don't think it's that. It's been asking me to update to ios 10 for months now.
    The battery on my 6 went to shite about a month ago (down to 50% by lunch having not been used), put iOS10 on it and it's fine again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12411
    DefaultM said:

Are there different quality parts or if I just go on ebay and type in iPhone 6 battery will any do?
    Don't go for the really cheap batteries, they're usually crap. Look for a supplier that gets lots of decent reviews and reckon to pay around £10 and you should be ok. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10453
    DefaultM said:
    Hmm I might give the battery a go. I watched a video on changing the screen a bit ago but it looked like it would be difficult. I've completely smashed it and it looks like I'd have to pick out hundreds of little pieces.

Are there different quality parts or if I just go on ebay and type in iPhone 6 battery will any do?
    To change the screen undo the 2 screws by the lighting port. Then use a sucker cup to lift the screen up at the home button end until it's at up at a right angle

Undo the 2 screws holding down the battery connector cover - remove the battery connector

Undo the 5 screws holding down the main cable cover .... then unclip the camera flex, the LCD flex, the home button flex and the digitizer

Now you can remove the whole LCD \ digitizier assembly 

Now you can buy a replacement screen already equiped with a home button, speaker, proximity sensor and  and camera or you can change those bits over from the old screen .... I always change those parts over to keep as much parts genuine Apple as poss

Important : you have to re use  the home button and flex cable from the old screen if you want the fingerprint security to work ... this is where so many people cut corners and why a lot of phones were borked during an update a couple of years ago

On refitting make sure you get the flex cables correctly in their sockets as the LCD and camera both use the exact same size and getting them round the wrong way will damage the motherboard. 

The battery is an easy job but take your time and don't rush or use any metal tools to remove the battery. Any inadvertent cut into the battery which shorts the cells will instantly cause the battery to catch fire and emit a cloud of horrible gas

When buying don't go with the cheapest, any of the ones around a tenner should be fine
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13957
    edited May 2017
    DefaultM said:
    I don't update the firmware so I don't think it's that. It's been asking me to update to ios 10 for months now.
    There's your problem, many of the OS updates include app optimisation to preserve battery life. My wife's iPhone 6 is coming up on 2 1/2 years and battery life is fine.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    Yeah my iPhone 6 is still fine, it's over 2 years old at this point 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7371
    I was under the impression that the newer firmwares would be optimised more towards the newer phones, and so my older one would struggle with it?
    My iPad has been asking me to update for at least a year and I always just ignore it for that reason.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4227
    edited May 2017
    Try and flash your Android without disabling the virus checker on your work machine that drops USB connections willy-nilly and I can guarantee your phone won't last as long as your contract. 

Ask me how I know. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    I was under the impression that the newer firmwares would be optimised more towards the newer phones, and so my older one would struggle with it?
    My iPad has been asking me to update for at least a year and I always just ignore it for that reason.

I doubt it's truly intentional. Although some reckon it is.

I doubt they'd target relatively new ones regardless. Maybe if you're rocking an iPhone 4 it'll be a bit rubbish, my girlfriend's old one barely worked.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72558
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Maybe if you're rocking an iPhone 4 it'll be a bit rubbish, my girlfriend's old one barely worked.
    My 4S is still absolutely fine, although on its second battery. I must have got it in late 2011 or early 2012 since it was the new top model at the time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited May 2017
    Moore's law is breaking down now. There's only a couple atoms under a MOSFET gate so if one atom goes, that's 50% mismatch - really pants circuits (I was doing 40nm circuits 10 years ago). FinFET design isn't something I'm into. Luckily autmotive is a big thing and uses better (older but with more options) processes.
    edited May 2017
    Best phones (I find) are the Nexus phones (now pixel). Raw android, lightning fast. 
    To improve time to market, a lot of chip companies *cough* those under pressure from Apple *cough* (worst customer in the world) aren't even doing top-level verification these days. 
    Best phones (I find) are the Nexus phones (now pixel). Raw android, lightning fast. 
    To improve time to market, a lot of chip companies *cough* those under pressure from Apple *cough* (worst customer in the world) aren't even doing top-level verification these days. 
    @thomasross20 I'm after a new blower (see previous post) - you reckon the Pixel is the business? Mrs. R. had Nexus phones in the past and loved them, I was always jealous of the vanilla Android. The Pixel is a lot of money though, they've shifted their sales model a bit. 

I look and look, and keep coming back to the Oneplus 3T or the Pixel.

Hmmm. 
    I'd go for a pixel over any other android phone. Others just cram it with their own guff and bloatware. 
    Unfortunately the Pixel is about 3x what the old Nexus cost. 
    TBH I'd search for a used (or unused!) Nexus as first priority. :)
    I'd go for a pixel over any other android phone. Others just cram it with their own guff and bloatware. 
    Unfortunately the Pixel is about 3x what the old Nexus cost. 
    TBH I'd search for a used (or unused!) Nexus as first priority. :)
    Will have a look. The Nexus 5 seems to be selling for about £130 and I bet it's a decent phone. 
    I got a Nexus 5x unused off gumtree just as they stopped doing them. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Motorola phones don't have any bloatware, it's pretty pure android and there are other options like oneplus
    My V key is broken
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Never had a phone expire before or at contract end. My wife has a Sony Z2 that is as good as the day she got it over three years ago. I have had a number of phones that I have been able to sell on with a clear conscience. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I got my phone in November and the battery needs replacing already. I don't know if it's faulty or I've just been hard on it. Either way, it's under warranty.
    My V key is broken