40 years ago today...

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
The Jam released their debut LP.

Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    You can just f**k right off...................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Do you ever wonder if he hadn't had to play a Rickenbacker, that he might not have been such an angry young man?

(just kidding)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    rlw said:
    Sorry have I made you feel old?

I wasn't even a featus in May 1977...
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6124
    Yeah.. just rub in in eh... And whilst your at it just pour some lemon juice into the wound for good measure! , ;)

I'll get my Zimmer frame... cough...
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6124
    edited May 2017
    Do you ever wonder if he hadn't had to play a Rickenbacker, that he might not have been such an angry young man?

(just kidding)
    How the feck did he even manage to afford a Rickenbacker back then... Was daddy loaded?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    equalsql said:

(just kidding)
    How the feck did he even mange to afford a Rickenbacker back then... Was daddy loaded?
    He's from a working class background. Daddy was a builder!

He'd been gigging pubs since his early teens though so probably just saved up. I believe he 'borrowed' his Peavey amp from Ric Parfitt.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    Iamnobody said:
    rlw said:

It's funny.   Obviously, Sgt Pepper is 50 this year but I was still a teenager when that came out, so I can find the right perspective, but by 1977 I was a grown man and that's not so easy.   
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    edited May 2017
    It's just a number...

edited May 2017
    rlw said:
    Iamnobody said:
    rlw said:

It's funny.   Obviously, Sgt Pepper is 50 this year but I was still a teenager when that came out, so I can find the right perspective, but by 1977 I was a grown man and that's not so easy.   
    Understood.

I stole your comment for the OK Computer 20th anniversary thread.

Similar for me. I was 19 in 1997 and I can remember the Jools Holland performances, taping it on VHS and watching it over and over, buying the cd on release day, going home and locking myself in my room and listening to it on repeat. 

I can't believe that was 20 years ago...
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902
    equalsql said:

(just kidding)
    How the feck did he even manage to afford a Rickenbacker back then... Was daddy loaded?

---pretty sure he bought it using his advance from the record company. Bruce Foxton rather famously played a fake Rick in the early days. Maybe weller was the same?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have that on vinyl somewhere .. bought it when it came out from HMV in Oxford Street .. I worked round the corner in '77.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    equalsql said:

(just kidding)

---pretty sure he bought it using his advance from the record company. Bruce Foxton rather famously played a fake Rick in the early days. Maybe weller was the same?
    IIRC from the exhibition, Weller's first 'Rickenbacker' was also an Ibanez copy with a changed truss rod cover
    Stop crying, start buying
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Pretty amazing really, I can't believe it was so long ago. I never liked the jam but my mates were those pseudo mods of the late 70s - parka's and lambretta's etc, they were big on them.

I have since grown to appreciate them, especially Foxton's superb bass playing. They always struck me as unusual in that they seem to be the only guitar-based trio I can think of where the guitarist was kind of inconsequential. They were about the songs and the attitude but never really the guitar playing.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    axisus said:
    Pretty amazing really, I can't believe it was so long ago. I never liked the jam but my mates were those pseudo mods of the late 70s - parka's and lambretta's etc, they were big on them.

I have since grown to appreciate them, especially Foxton's superb bass playing. They always struck me as unusual in that they seem to be the only guitar-based trio I can think of where the guitarist was kind of inconsequential. They were about the songs and the attitude but never really the guitar playing.
    I always thought of them as being nicely dressed punks. Couldn't stand them though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    axisus said:

I'm in a band that plays a whole lot of Jam stuff and yeah the guitar is the least important bit. The energy, Foxton's bass and harmony vocals are the "sound" of the jam

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Heard Weller interviewed by (an excessively deferential) Shaun Keaveny on BBC 6 Music last week. He struck me as unbelievably - and quite unnecessarily - 'difficult'.