Hmm...which guitar to look for? Something retro ideally. Plan aborted

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14257
    tFB Trader
    A few good options above - easy to be prejudice as I've sold a few but the Supro models are far better than I expected them to be, certainly regarding the playability

the Italia models aren't bad either - Chris Rea regularly plays one - designed and spec'd as per the Supro's by UK's own Trevor Wilkinson

You are unlikely to see many well priced used Supro's at this stage but you might find a good well priced used Italia

Both have good credibility and are certainly better than a 'toy' - some original models from the 50's and 60's are okay but many look cool but are a bitch to play - I dare say @HarrySeven could vouch for some of that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    Thanks that is useful, I've no idea who Chris Rea is although I don't necessarily need something touring grade as nobody would want me to gig anywhere Haha but good to know. The Supro ones are supposedly quite good yeah but I find them quite ugly, much prefer the Eastwoods for the same price to be honest. The Italia ones are more achievable though, was quite sad when I lost the Mondial on eBay
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    thecolourbox said:
    if you don't like Teles or Strats because they are dull ...
    I find that those old Fender designs are only as "dull" as the person playing them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    thecolourbox said:
    if you don't like Teles or Strats because they are dull ...
    I find that those old Fender designs are only as "dull" as the person playing them.
    Yeah and a lot of dull people play them! Clapton being my biggest issue. They often sound good but I want something that is fun and exciting
    If I was gigging I'd need a "tool" for which a Tele or Strat would be fine but as I'm not I just want to play something nice and fun
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14257
    tFB Trader
    Thanks that is useful, I've no idea who Chris Rea is although I don't necessarily need something touring grade as nobody would want me to gig anywhere Haha but good to know. The Supro ones are supposedly quite good yeah but I find them quite ugly, much prefer the Eastwoods for the same price to be honest. The Italia ones are more achievable though, was quite sad when I lost the Mondial on eBay
    The Chris Rea quote is not so much based on buy one because he uses one, it was more a statement so as to lend a tick in the credibility box 

I've got an Eastwood like this http://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/4608-used-eastwood-sidejack-dlx/ - plays okay and good performance for the price - been said before but the quality of low end/mid priced budget guitars has never been so good

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    edited May 2017
    Something unnecessary and unhelpful.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    thecolourbox said:
     fun and exciting
    Fun and exciting are subjective. Both notions are likely to vary from one day to the next. 
    Yeah but having had a strat and a Tele, they never hit the spot, whereas the Airline I had was consistently fun and I only sold it because it was the colour of cat puke ;) I know what I like though and it wouldn't do for us all to like the same thing
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    TR Music in Walsall ( which is a reasonable sized shop) are Revelation stockists. You'd have to call or pop in to find out what they've got though, don't seem to have much online presence.
    Guitar Crazy in sunny Sedgley also listed as a stockist, although it's a tiny shop that only opens about four hours a day. Again, no online stock listings although I'm sure they'd be pleased to see an actual customer. 
    Ha! Ha! Guitar Crazy Is that the one located in Concord Centre off Sedgley High Street? only asking as I grew up in Sedgley
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    TR Music in Walsall ( which is a reasonable sized shop) are Revelation stockists. You'd have to call or pop in to find out what they've got though, don't seem to have much online presence.
    Guitar Crazy in sunny Sedgley also listed as a stockist, although it's a tiny shop that only opens about four hours a day. Again, no online stock listings although I'm sure they'd be pleased to see an actual customer. 
    Ha! Ha! Guitar Crazy Is that the one located in Concord Centre off Sedgley High Street? only asking as I grew up in Sedgley
    Just spotted this @builttospill I don't know the street names but it's the one right in the centre of the town. I drove past it today and it was shut, I don't think it opens at all on Wednesday. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    I've got one of the £115 Squier Mustangs and whilst it needed a bit of tweaking it's a great fun little thing. 
    Out of interest what needed fixing on it?

How about the G&L Tribute Fallout?  Meets just about all your requirements (pickups, scale length, radius, colours), and looks kind of retro without being an obviously slavish copy of anything (a bit Mustang-ish, maybe).
    Good call! Thanks I'll have a listen and lookout for those. Never really heard of that one so that's interesting

---the squier? Needed a bit of a polish on the frets (they were a bit scratchy) and the nut on mine needs reworked: the g string is out of tune on the lower frets because the nut is cut too high
    Tried a few in Guitar Guitar and Fairdeal this morning and unfortunately have therefore decided to abort the search as I didn't like the "possibles" that were on my shortlist to play. The cheap bullet mustang felt and looked naff (that blue, erghh), the Gretsch ones sadly looked like they should come with free slippers and a pipe, and now having actually held a couple of jazzmasters they are too big for me.

So I'm just going to get a boring cheap tele for about £100 and live with that I think.

Thanks all for the suggestions though and apologies for any time wasted.

Thanks