Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

This is the Somerset Levels today

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @Fretwired No disrespect but I don't think John Major gives a shit what you think of David Cameron. I don't think DC himself gives a shit either.
    Well he should ... but you're right. Cameron doesn't give a fuck what the ordinary voter thinks.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited February 2014
    RobDavies;158894" said:
    Meanwhile.....

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/09/nigel-farage-uk-aid-budget-somerset-flood-victims

Whilst I have every sympathy for the people of the Somerset levels, diverting aid from people who REALLY need it, is ridiculous, surely?
    Just one time out of a hundred, can we please just look after our own nation for once. I mean seriously... we've been sending aid to other countries literally for decades and decades and decades... how about Britain gets some of its own money for a change :)>-
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited February 2014
    Interesting in the first set of pics that God built his house on the hill. Indeed there's a lot that's 'Biblical' about this situation.
    While that doesn't detract from the sympathy one feels for those involved, some perspective (relief from media hysteria I mean) is needed.  It is quite interesting how small an area/how few houses (in Somerset) are actually affected. It is a very rural area.

Now the the Thames Valley is affected of course the whole thing moves up a gear.  Ultimately however people must understand that it is in fact risky to live perched on a crumbling cliff, by a river, or below sea level.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Drew_fx said:
    RobDavies;158894" said:
    Meanwhile.....

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/09/nigel-farage-uk-aid-budget-somerset-flood-victims

Whilst I have every sympathy for the people of the Somerset levels, diverting aid from people who REALLY need it, is ridiculous, surely?
    Just one time out of a hundred, can we please just look after our own nation for once. I mean seriously... we've been sending aid to other countries literally for decades and decades and decades... how about Britain gets some of its own money for a change :)>-
    Totally agree. I don't understand why we send money to China and India when they waste money on nuclear weapons and space rockets. The French send no aid to India and beat us to the military jet contract, although that could have been because they had the better plane.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Y'know dudes... a lot of people get no say in where they live. It's like.. this huge chasm of a vagina spits them out one day, into poor socio-economic conditions, and British farmtown afterbirth... and then they end up growing old and doing the same thing to their kids.

A little bit of perspective huh?
  • Drew_fx said:
    Y'know dudes... a lot of people get no say in where they live. It's like.. this huge chasm of a vagina spits them out one day, into poor socio-economic conditions, and British farmtown afterbirth... and then they end up growing old and doing the same thing to their kids.

A little bit of perspective huh?
    Don't disagree Drew, you are normally balanced in your comments.  However, we all assess risk in our daily lives, all the time.  The fact is some people assess their risks incorrectly or fail to do so.  I'm not saying we shouldn't help them when things go wrong, but as with so many things, maybe we should give them a better steer in the first place. Eg.Flood Plain - No Building Allowed. Beware - Crumbling Cliff. Achtung Minen. etc
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Dawlish railway line has been damaged a few times before, apparently. I didn't know that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-26125244
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Interesting in the first set of pics that God built his house on the hill. Indeed there's a lot that's 'Biblical' about this situation.
    While that doesn't detract from the sympathy one feels for those involved, some perspective (relief from media hysteria I mean) is needed.  It is quite interesting how small an area/how few houses (in Somerset) are actually affected. It is a very rural area.

Now the the Thames Valley is affected of course the whole thing moves up a gear.  Ultimately however people must understand that it is in fact risky to live perched on a crumbling cliff, by a river, or below sea level.
    Ugh, it's "Bridgwater".
    My V key is broken
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Drew_fx said:
    RobDavies;158894" said:
    Meanwhile.....

Agree.   But my initial thinking was that Farage meant not helping out places like The Philipines in favour of Somerset.   I think I know where I'd rather my taxes went....
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1622103_214327935429018_1881203708_n.jpg

That's pretty bad. I used to go past that building a lot on the way to Taunton.
    My V key is broken