I think I want a Telecaster!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2398
    I've just bought another...its on its way from sunny Florida. A super rare 90's masterbuilt 50's Tele made back when the builder did ALL the work on the guitar. After building this one he then made Jeff Beck's famous white Strat that he played solely for the last 23 years. Tele GAS never ends....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    American Special imo. Dunno if it's slightly over your budget since you mention MiM or not, but should be able to get a used one for around £500. 
    Neck isnt huge though so I'd suggest playing one first if possible. 
    The Texas Specials pickups are nice and hot. I use mine mainly for heavy punk/rock and it's never failed me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    Sporky said:
    Surely the solution to wanting a darker, fuller sound is to wind the tone control back a bit?
    Maybe, but a Broadcaster flatpole or the stock AV52 pickup is mid-rangey and darker than your typical 60s pickup tone with the tone all the way up or rolled back

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    As someone else said, Classic Vibe Custom could work for the mellower tones and not too much money - but the neck is perhaps too much on the skinny side. I had one and that was pretty much my only gripe.

Classic Series 60s tele? Looks awesome in oly white and if the neck is anything like my 60s strat it's chunky but not obscene. That's assuming you enjoy 7.25 radius and small frets though.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    "I think I want a Telecaster" - of course you do !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    zepp76 said:
    Now, I have always been a Les Paul man, I love them dearly but just recently I have been gassing for a Tele! I don't know why but I'm starting to like the look of them but I've yet to be fully convinced by the sound. I'm not really a fan of the twang, so is there a Tele (preferably mim) that has a darker more fuller sound? Something that can go from blues to full on rock and also must have a thick neck. Am I asking for too much or does such a Tele exist? I once had a thing for the Fender aerodyne Telecaster but they are as rare as hens teeth and cost more than I'm willing to spend at the moment, I think I may have to sell or trade a guitar or two to do this so I want to make sure I find the right one! So please fire away with your suggestions chaps. Thank you.
    I'm selling a Lite Ash Tele with a decent size neck. The neck pickup has a full tone particularly with the tone control rolled down a bit.http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/104024/fs-ft-fender-lite-ash-telecaster-more-pics-added#latest ;
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Everyone needs a Tele ... its for the greater good.
    'FOR THE GREATER GOOD!'
    And a big bushy beard 
  • RebarRebar Frets: 138
    edited May 2017
    I currently have a blonde Baja for sale. I've actually found that I really like the pickups, but I suppose it's all subjective. The neck is a bit chunkier than a modern Fender C profile, but its not as large as you might imagine. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/101762/fs-2015-baja-telecaster#latest
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I just got a US pro tele and I really really REALLY like it. My first tele in about 15 years of playing. Get one!
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I used to have a (sadly missed) '72 Deluxe reissue, the one with the massive scratchplate and the Wide Range humbuckers. Absolutely stunning neck on it, sounded great, and I believe having the pickups modded closer to original spec by The Creamery (or a few others who offer similar) was a great upgrade, although I always enjoyed the stock sound. Tele look and feel, great vibe, and big, think, dark sounds on tap.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9346
    Stick a 4 way switch in and you can get pretty much any tone you want from a tele. Teles can still be thick. Quo, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck etc
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    As per @Vaiai 's suggestion, a Cabronita seems worth checking out.  The pickups sound like beefy single-coils with the benefits of hum cancellation.  The most common black ones were knocked out sub-£300 at the end of the run so expect to pay that or a bit less, despite what people hope to get on eBay.  Very well-made and I think they have the sort of factory status as the Classic Mexican series so perhaps a cut above a standard MIM.  Things to watch for is the standard bridge's string spacing being too wide so that needs to be replaced by a Callaham or Allparts unit.  And the standard single-ply scratchplate is shiz.  But overall a lovely medium neck with those fantastic pickups.  The only comparison on the internet shows next to no difference in sound between them and genuine TV Jones.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    edited May 2017
    mike257 said:
    I used to have a (sadly missed) '72 Deluxe reissue, the one with the massive scratchplate and the Wide Range humbuckers. Absolutely stunning neck on it, sounded great, and I believe having the pickups modded closer to original spec by The Creamery (or a few others who offer similar) was a great upgrade, although I always enjoyed the stock sound. Tele look and feel, great vibe, and big, think, dark sounds on tap.
    That's mine. 2014 Tele Deluxe FSR (mim) with The Creamery pickups instead of the original non-wide range pickups in a big housing. Feels like a Tele, thickish neck, sounds great.

But let's be honest - it's a lovely guitar that plays like a decent Tele, but it doesn't sound like a 'classic" Tele. My mate has one. I like it....

Hmm, maybe I need a proper Tele, too.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Well I'm convinced I NEED a Tele now thanks chaps! I think the Baja 50's is a contender for the thick neck that I'd like and it looks great in white/blonde. Any idea on what price a used one would fetch please? Somewhere around the £500 mark maybe?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9346
    Depends how patient you are. I've paid under £400 but people seem to expect more now.
    Be careful on weight if you go with a baja. Some are fine but others are 9lbs boat anchors.
    Youll also need to get the guitar well shielded or rip out the s1 system as they are very noisy
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    chris78 said:
    Depends how patient you are. I've paid under £400 but people seem to expect more now.
    Be careful on weight if you go with a baja. Some are fine but others are 9lbs boat anchors.
    Youll also need to get the guitar well shielded or rip out the s1 system as they are very noisy
    Have to say that mine isn't noisy at all.  My LP is actually noisier on some settings.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Teles are the business. For years I loved humbuckers and Les Pauls in particular but a good, lightweight Tele is my dream guitar. So versatile. Does everything I want and nothing I don't. Leo got it right first time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom