Bands with two guitarists using same brand amps

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    We use 2 marshalls. I'm aware this is dewply uncool.
    I had hope that the other guitarist would get something else after I accidentally set his amp on fire but he bought another identical one (its an AVT too not even valvey).
    Don't worry, that will set itself on fire soon enough as well :).

And at least if yours is not an AVT you should be heard quite well, even before the smoke comes out of it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I'd listen to Big Wreck live - there's actually 3 guitarists there and they use Suhr Amps but use different styled and brands of guitars. I think the latter aspect plays a part but it's also how things are arranged and these guys are fantastic at it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Kebabkid said:
    I'd listen to Big Wreck live - there's actually 3 guitarists there and they use Suhr Amps but use different styled and brands of guitars. I think the latter aspect plays a part but it's also how things are arranged and these guys are fantastic at it.
    Fookin great band. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I would agree with Cos, purely because Big Wreck are so friggin good.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I should also say that I was in a band in the 90s with no less than 3 guitarists and we all had Marshall MIDI rack systems (JMP-1, JFX, Valvestate 80/80 or 20/20 power amps) and PRS/Eggle guitars (all pretty similar). Like Big Wreck, the various parts were all there (we played material by The Doobies, The Eagles, Steely Dan etc). However, many of the same frequencies were being occupied and as the person who played most of the clean parts, I struggled to cut through.

I posed the question to Guitarist Magazine and their response centered more on the guitars, not the amps, or setting of the EQ, which obviously helps, but about using different guitars. 3 mahogany-bodied, twin humbuckered guitars instead of one of those, a Tele and/or Strat were a better option and remedied the situation.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    ICBM said:
    We use 2 marshalls. I'm aware this is dewply uncool.
    I had hope that the other guitarist would get something else after I accidentally set his amp on fire but he bought another identical one (its an AVT too not even valvey).
    Don't worry, that will set itself on fire soon enough as well :).

And at least if yours is not an AVT you should be heard quite well, even before the smoke comes out of it...
    Mines a JVM but to be fair he does get a pretty nice sound out of the AVT, the cremated one was my old amp from like 15 years ago and has survived 4 bands and having monster poured into it so considering the price I reckon it did pretty well.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Drew_TNBD said:
    shaunm said:
    In my band the other guitar has more gain and I have more clarity and more classic rock gain. We use different amps.

My main gripe with twin guitar bands is when two guitarists are playing the same part. If guitarists are playing the same thing as each other then lose one guitarist as it just muddies tone and clarity. 
    I can't agree with that at all really. Hasn't been my experience. Checkout bands like ISIS, Pelican, and Mastodon. Heavy riffs that are mostly played together, with a few notes here and there that are different to create harmonies. No muddiness at all, just pure rock and metal in yer face guitars!
    When I saw Pelican They used a Sunn model t and a Marshall jmp 2203. They sounded a bit weak but Capricorns who supported used the same set up pretty much but sounded much more powerful.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Modern metal production tends to aim for one guitar.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Reverend said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    shaunm said:
    In my band the other guitar has more gain and I have more clarity and more classic rock gain. We use different amps.

My main gripe with twin guitar bands is when two guitarists are playing the same part. If guitarists are playing the same thing as each other then lose one guitarist as it just muddies tone and clarity. 
    I can't agree with that at all really. Hasn't been my experience. Checkout bands like ISIS, Pelican, and Mastodon. Heavy riffs that are mostly played together, with a few notes here and there that are different to create harmonies. No muddiness at all, just pure rock and metal in yer face guitars!
    When I saw Pelican They used a Sunn model t and a Marshall jmp 2203. They sounded a bit weak but Capricorns who supported used the same set up pretty much but sounded much more powerful.
    When we played with them in 2012, I'm fairly sure both guitarists used JCM800 heads and two 4x12s.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I think it's about the guitarists not getting in each others way rather than amps, and unless deliberate shouldn't be doubling up on the same chord shapes/pitches- definitely not both playing distorted 6 string barre chords as it totally soaks up the mid-range (pet peeve)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Saw The Bronx last night, both playing JCM900s. Couldn't tell the difference between the 2 guitars but it sounded awesome.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    TTBZ said:
    Saw The Bronx last night, both playing JCM900s. Couldn't tell the difference between the 2 guitars but it sounded awesome.
    You should only ever see The Bronx. Every other band will now be a let down unless its Mariachi El Bronx.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    timmysoft said:
    TTBZ said:
    You should only ever see The Bronx. Every other band will now be a let down unless its Mariachi El Bronx.

I was lucky enough to have a photo pass for slam dunk festival (most of the lineup was not to my taste but it was for work) so I was right up in the action for the entire set, got some good pics too!
    @TTBZ ; i played Slam Dunk a few years back, the event has grown pretty rapidly although i don't think the diversity of the bands has!
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    timmysoft said:
    TTBZ said:

Ergo proof that no amp>Marshall
    timmysoft said:
    @TTBZ ; i played Slam Dunk a few years back, the event has grown pretty rapidly although i don't think the diversity of the bands has!
    Yeah it's pretty much pop punk or that weird whiney emo-metal that should have been left in the early 2000's. The Bronx and Crossfaith were good though!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    TTBZ said:
    timmysoft said:
    Yeah it's pretty much pop punk or that weird whiney emo-metal that should have been left in the early 2000's. The Bronx and Crossfaith were good though!
    My son and his mates went to Slam Dunk. His favourite band of the day were Don Broco but I don't even know who they are! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    TTBZ said:
    timmysoft said:
    My son and his mates went to Slam Dunk. His favourite band of the day were Don Broco but I don't even know who they are! 
    I was down in the photo pit for that one as well! Not my cup of tea but they put on a good show and sounded tight. Nice to see a "cool" band using PRS and Marshall as well, makes a change from offset Fenders! 
    TTBZ said:
    TTBZ said:
    timmysoft said:
    I was down in the photo pit for that one as well! Not my cup of tea but they put on a good show and sounded tight. Nice to see a "cool" band using PRS and Marshall as well, makes a change from offset Fenders! 
    Played with Broco a lot, really good guys and Simon is a really good player. Did you check out Deaf Havana, they're from the same area as me and my old band, we toured a lot together and i used to be their guitar tech / driver.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nope didn't get a chance to see them, was busy running to and from other stages when they were on ha. They're a band I've heard about and meant to listen to but never got round to it!