Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Becoming a guitar tutor - advice needed

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• daveyh said:
    Register with the police for a CRB Disclosure.
    Just a small point, it's called a DBS now. You can also register with their update service for a small annual subscription, saves having to get new ones for different employers/purposes
    This - its an online service and will automatically renew - its well worth it otherwise the DBS just expires and they don't give you notice. 
    I'm DBS checked and have signed up for the annual renewal service, its so much easier as you don't have to keep sending forms and photocopies of documents etc every single year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Re: computer created tabs, chord diagrams & charts etc ...
    what software do you use? Any examples you would be happy to display?
  • I use Sibelius and Neck Diagrams for most of my material. Had to pay for both but been using both for years so it’s paid for itself in the amount of lessons. 

I‘m typing this on my iPad at the moment thus don’t have any files on here. But will show examples when on my pc.
  • I'd also add - back up all of your stuff (accounts, teaching materials etc) just in case, and I'd recommend doing it to somewhere like dropbox/google drive as well. Seems obvious, but I've just had my computer break and my external hard drive with the backup almost lose everything too. Luckily I'd saved off the essentials to a flash drive before the latter happened anyway, but it was very close!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited December 2017
    Prepare. Nothing pissed me off more than my tutor turning up having done no prep whatsoever.

ah yes, but had you practised in the intervening period too? Cos often I get all prepped only to find students not touched the thing since last and completely forgotten everything. Then have to backtrack all over...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• 57Deluxe said:
    Prepare. Nothing pissed me off more than my tutor turning up having done no prep whatsoever.

ah yes, but had you practised in the intervening period too? Cos often I get all prepped only to find students not touched the thing since last and completely forgotten everything. Then have to backtrack all over...
    I had a learner who never practiced properly between lessons, and they always used to come back the following lesson asking to "go over it again..." More often than not they couldn't play any of the song (we solely learn songs by bands they liked) correctly (always timing issue or couldn't fret a power chord etc) and I had to stop the track to repeat what I said the previous week. Eventually I think I came to the conclusion they did enjoy the lessons, but that's the only part they were concerned about, not the actual progression part, so they would enjoy themselves for an hour once every fortnight with no desire to achieve anything. It is money at the end of the day but it seemed like a waste me preparing all the tab and stuff only for them not to be able to play it satisfactorily. I don't think I recall one time where they managed to play a full song well.

I always do prep work before lessons though. Never just let them turn up and ask "so what do we want to do today?" and make it up on the spot. I manage all my lesson plans to fit in the time of the slot.
    edited December 2017
    /\ I do this though to one 12 yr old guy who comes and he plays the same Ed Sheeran riff ad infintum! Or he grabs his phone for some Rap shite he liked in a game... So  I entertain that for a bit then do what I want. Last week I wrote a new Bond theme during his time...! I even have a name for it and everything!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Also they would moan the lessons were "expensive" (It was £25 per hour at the time, quite cheap in my eyes) yet would turn up each time with a new pair of trainers/item of clothing and their hair dyed a new colour. They would brag about how they snapped up tickets to see their favourite band in about 6 months time as well, those tickets weren't cheap either. Finally about what new tattoo they were getting which again, doesn't come for free!

I learnt my lesson not to do it single lesson-by-lesson esp with this one, as they ended up being very inconsistent and would always try find an excuse to "leave it" if they couldn't reschedule to another day in the week. This meant lost money that I could never get back. If I had charged them in advance I would have just deducted the lesson from the block without losing money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Update update update. (long overdue perhaps)

I have been doing the ground work, putting in place some elements to help me make the move to tutoring.
    I'm not a flash virtuoso looking to teach the next shred-tastic wunderkid. I'm more inclined to focus on the basic beginner student, maybe someone that can play a bit but wants to improve, teaching mature adults or younger kids.
    To that end I have now got a live website, have advertised locally using various media, and have picked up several students already. Fingers crossed it continues. Here's the web link if any one cares to look ...

https://guitar.teestutors.co.uk/

ps

I'm in Stockton-on-Tees, Teesside, North East if you happen to know anyone wanting lessons ;)

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2596
    edited April 2018
    Barney said:
    Teach them what they want to know ....some dont want to be the next Steve Vai ...just to play a few songs around a barbecue..no system will fit all everybody wants different things out of the guitar
    Back in the day when I was a regular Bass Player magazine reader Jeff Berlin - who admittedly is about as opinionated and judgmental a human being as ever walked the planet - used to be evangelical about the idea that to make proper progress you needed a teacher;  but he also advised that if you went to a teacher and he asked you what you wanted to learn, to get up and leave, because he was the wrong teacher.  His view was that the reason you were paying a teacher was that he knew what you needed to learn, whereas you didn't.  I thought he had a point.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Barney said:
    Teach them what they want to know ....some dont want to be the next Steve Vai ...just to play a few songs around a barbecue..no system will fit all everybody wants different things out of the guitar
    Back in the day when I was a regular Bass Player magazine reader Jeff Berlin - who admittedly is about as opinionated and judgmental a human being as ever walked the planet - used to be evangelical about the idea that to make proper progress you needed a teacher;  but he also advised that if you went to a teacher and he asked you what you wanted to learn, to get up and leave, because he was the wrong teacher.  His view was that the reason you were paying a teacher was that he knew what you needed to learn, whereas you didn't.  I thought he had a point.
    Yeah definitely has a point but people want different things out of guitar ....some will want to play metal ..no use teaching them country....or no use showing someone classical who wants to play in a punk band ECT.... doing this will alienate any pupils in my opinion ...I do think though iff someone knows exactly what they want to do they should follow the advice of a good teacher..but every teacher I think needs to customise lessons to suit students  :)
    /\ a good teacher takes onboard a student style preference and then puts in place the groundwork for them to go off and play their preference. I mean, Michael Schumackers' first driving instructor didn't teach him F1 tricks first off...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>