Hows about these then..... New Gibson Standard Paint Over

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I have just bought a 34 year old Yamaha SG1000 with a tiny scratch on the top. Plus 2 larger dings on the lower rear. There's buckle rash all over the back.

Given that the guitars had at least two fret dresses. I'd say that was realistic to assume the guitars been gigged constantly. Yet it still has less wear on it than the most basic 'relic' guitar. 

Thats my problem with it really. It just looks contrived to me. If you use them, they bang up anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    I have never understood the relic thing and would be no more likely to buy one of these Gibsons than I would a custom shop Fender.

I like my guitars, clean, undinged, undented, covered in paint and, when appropriate, shiney too.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    jeztone2 said:
    I have just bought a 34 year old Yamaha SG1000 with a tiny scratch on the top. Plus 2 larger dings on the lower rear. There's buckle rash all over the back.

Given that the guitars had at least two fret dresses. I'd say that was realistic to assume the guitars been gigged constantly. Yet it still has less wear on it than the most basic 'relic' guitar. 

Thats my problem with it really. It just looks contrived to me. If you use them, they bang up anyway. 
    Thick poly type finishes protect paint better than old coats of lacquer. Fret dresses can be down to soft metal frets played by heavy handed lummoxes in bedrooms (like myself). 

Yes some relic jobs are overdone, but there's more badly done relics than overdone ones. Loads of vintage guitars show heavy wear. 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The irony is that a guitar with genuine wear loses value whereas an intentionally fucked up finish costs 6000 quid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    streethawk said:

Yes some relic jobs are overdone, but there's more badly done relics than overdone ones. Loads of vintage guitars show heavy wear.
    Very few genuine vintage guitars are anywhere near as worn as most relics.

... to the point where I now assume that any really heavily worn guitar is probably a fake.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    streethawk said:

Very few genuine vintage guitars are anywhere near as worn as most relics.

... to the point where I now assume that any really heavily worn guitar is probably a fake.
    An assertion like that requires some working out. Number of golden era fenders and gibsons produced vs number of modern relic jobs on the market - including homemade efforts. Number of surviving untouched examples etc. Might be helpful to include all the 'closet classic' type relic jobs too.

You could just as easily state that when you see a vintage guitar with great paint, you assume it's a refin. Or at least a dealer would.  =)

This just caught my eye: a '58 strat refin relic job. 
    https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/fender-stratocaster-black-refinished-pre-owned-1958-vg

we're through the looking glass, people.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    The irony is that a guitar with genuine wear loses value whereas an intentionally fucked up finish costs 6000 quid.
    Yes like a worn 'thin skin' AVRI strat. Should bloody add value, all things being equal. Doesn't though. 

It's an odd situation.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited May 2017
    They haven't painted them over very well now have they!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Honestly thought this was a spoof. Oh dear.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    Oh mannnnn, I love Gibsons and I get tired of the hate tbh too. However these are indefensible, utter trash and deserve nothing but contempt. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'd like to think they look better in person. Terrible name though.