Laney VC amps - effects loop?

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2364

Remind me, what's the problem with the effects loop on the VC range?  Is it that they are neither fully serial nor parallel, and thereby nigh on unusable?

I have the option of a VC15 and 2x10 extension cab for a great price, and uncommonly near to where I live, but I use effects loops a lot and so thought I'd best re-investigate this issue before taking the plunge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    edited February 2014
    " FX loop at 0dB (750mV) or at -10dB (250mV) to suit your processor." From Laney manual.

Can't see anything in that specc' that would cause a problem? (dammit!) . I would question why they feel the need to invent yet another level protocol? 0dB should be 0.775 volts and neg ten 0.316 (yeah, I know they have NOT affixed the "u" or V tag but that just makes it worse!) .

No doubt users or ICBM will comment.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    edited February 2014
    The VC15 has a preset 50/50 parallel loop.

Apparently it's a simple mod to remove a resister and convert this to series (although I think you then have to use a patch lead between send/return if the loop is not in use.

I never got round to trying this on my own VC15 but I did bookmark a couple of links about it ...

http://www.laney-posse.co.uk/theposse/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=824

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/40443-laney-vc15.html

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26753/

[edit] I've just checked those links and there's nothing specific (but one doesn't work - that's probably the one with the info). However, before I bought my VC15 I emailed Laney support about whether this mod is possible and this is the reply I received ..

"The effects loop on the VC15 is indeed a parallel style loop.
    It is possible to modify the FX loop to be serial, although it is not
    company policy to give this information out. A competent tech such as
    your friend will be able to work it out though.
    If required, I can provide your friend with a schematic of the VC15."

I was going to get my friend who is an amp repair guy to sort out
    this mod but life got in the way and I've never got round to it. I've only
    used the amp with effects direct in the front. Maybe I should get round to
    it. I should be able to sort out the schematic if you need it.

(Sorry for weird formatting randomness?)
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited February 2014
    I've used a VC30 a lot over the past 18 months and generally use a 4CM to put stuff through the effects loop. There is no issue with it other than it's a parallel effects loop which is preset at 50/50. This is different on the very early models which have an effects blend control. This was soon replaced by a master tone control and the effects loop preset at 50/50.

You can mod it to put it in series but you then need to patch it across if you're not using the loop. These are great amps by the way. If you don't get the VC15 and cab I have a VC30 112 in the classifieds.

Edit: beaten to it by @steamabacus. What he said.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2364
    Thanks guys, have a wisdom each!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom