Bank Holiday Blues with Dave Gilmour & a P90 Les Paul

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
edited May 2017 in Guitar
Thought I'd kick off the day with one of my favourite guitarists this wet Monday Bank Holiday.

I was following a cat and came across DG playing This Heaven using a Les Paul equipped with P90s, and hope this brightens up your day. Gilmour seems to find a smoother tone than with a Strat. To me it's a mellower tone without the Strat's "high scream" and as a consequence this awesome Les Paul sounds more like a "male" guitar (if you imagine the Strat is a "female" sounding guitar). 

What do you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jApSuwB2pVE&spfreload=10&ab_channel=pbelz4759
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    fandango said:

What do you say?

Confirms my already deeply held belief that David Gilmour is a fantastic guitarist who has tone pouring out his fingers, but Roger Waters was the genius in post Syd Pink Floyd.
    Gilmour/Samson compositions just do nothing for me apart from the odd bit of guitar wizardry.

Still, gotta love that tone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    fandango said:
    I was following a cat and came across DG playing This Heaven using a Les Paul equipped with P90s, ...
    IIRC, the solo in Another brick in the wall was played on a P90 Les Paul. 

@gassage Have I got that right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Brightened up my day. Great stuff.
    It's not a competition.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2556
    Fantastic. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Whatever guitar you put in that man's hands he'll send shivers down your spine, he's such a brilliant, tasteful player.

Thanks for posting, I love Dave Gilmour.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    '5AM' off Rattle That Lock is the Gibson as well. Lately it's been my favourite ever of his, tone-wise. Just lovely. 
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1680
    So we all experiment with different tonewoods and single coils, P90s and humbuckers - Strats and Les Pauls and goodness knows what else, and then Mr Gilmour reminds us that it's not what we have that's important, it's what we do with it. Agree with @fftc about the songs, but I can't remember hearing a poor solo from the man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    fftc said:
    fandango said:

What do you say?

Confirms my already deeply held belief that David Gilmour is a fantastic guitarist who has tone pouring out his fingers, but Roger Waters was the genius in post Syd Pink Floyd.
    Gilmour/Samson compositions just do nothing for me apart from the odd bit of guitar wizardry.

Still, gotta love that tone!
    as amazing as Pink Floyd are, and without denying mr Gilmour's unbelievable playing and Roger Waters vision, they really are greater than the sum of their parts. I can't imagine them without Richard Wrights incredible atmospheric keys work or Nick Mason's beats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom