Stills from videos: is it possible and if so, how

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4985
I have a few videos of our gig yesterday.  All fairly short but what I would like is to extract a few stills from these videos.  Stills to JPEGs or similar, I would like to print a few for hanging on the music room wall.

If this is possible, please let me know how.  The images are in HD.  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    ShareX is a super little free (unless you want to donate) utility which does screen capture rather well. 
    I'm not sure whether that would give you enough resolution for printed pics though.
    https://getsharex.com/

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    Run the video in Media Player or VLC etc ... Just hit print screen when you see the shot you want  .... then open any image editor like Paint and hit past 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Danny1969 said:
    Run the video in Media Player or VLC etc ... Just hit print screen when you see the shot you want  .... then open any image editor like Paint and hit past 

No need for print screen, VLC lets you take snapshot - just hit shift and s on Windows, or command alt and S on Mac.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    Ideally you want to export a frame rather than just printing the screen which has likely been shrunk to fit. Any export options under your viewer's File menu?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Guys, I need help with this.  I cannot capture an image from the video.  Media Player does not see the files.  They came from a Panasonic camera which had a CD on it, containing PHOTOfunSTUDIO, a program that can see and play the files.  Yet nothing I do in PHOTOfunSTUDIO can capture a screenshot to put into Paint.  What is the keyboard shortcut for Paste?  If anyone can help or offer assistance, this would be appreciated.  If necessary please send your email to my PM, I can send you the file and take it from there.  Thanks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited May 2017
    You just play the video on your PC, then hit <printscreen>  At that point you've captured the screen shot in the PC's memory. Then you can open word or powerpoint or anything really, and choose edit>paste (or hold the control key and press v). It will paste the image onto word. Then you can right-click on the image and save it to a folder. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Thanks guys.  I got an image copied into Paint.  And saved as a .JPEG  You guys are amazing.  Such a vault of knowledge.  Thanks again.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited May 2017
    Prnt Scrn is your first friend, then if on PC try dropping the vid into Windows Live Movie Maker and clipping out a frame (if vid in compat format) or get a copy of NCH Videopad Video Editor... free limited use versions abound.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The best way is to pause the video and put the monitor on a scanner.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom