Music that just passed you by, but you now love

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5018
    @Placidcasual79 this is well worth a listen. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bloody lovely that thanks @Reverend - I need to get that record into my life and onto the stereo in my car....

I'd obviously wrongly assumed you were strictly a metal man....

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5018
    Bloody lovely that thanks @Reverend - I need to get that record into my life and onto the stereo in my car....

I'd obviously wrongly assumed you were strictly a metal man....

Mostly metal, but I do dabble in some reggae, folk, hip hop, classical, soul and country. 

And Madness. I love early Madness. Adam and the Ants too. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I remember a pal trying to get me into Dream Theater, he lent me a tape (this was a long time ago!) but it did nothing for me. A couple of years later and I 'discovered' them. They were my favourite band for the next decade, saw them live on every tour.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Rory Gallagher. Never really listened to his music and for some unknown reason I always associated him with the prog rock sort of thing. I randomly clicked on one of his live performances on you tube and well, that was that. What a guitarist and performer. I bought one of his greatest hits cd's and to be honest I wasn't impressed it was just too polished and sterile. But live, thank goodness for you tube. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3324
    edited June 2017
    Big Wreck - they've been going for a lot longer than people realise

Alan Parsons Project - you hear a lot of familiar things with this ever-changing band but they sort of meld them all into something nice. The classic stuff with Ian Bairnson on guitar (formerly of Pilot and responsible for the guitar solo on Wuthering Heights) is just fantastic and what an unsung hero he is. Melodic and memorable solos.

Early Bowie & Elton John. Just brilliant stuff
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    Most of the good stuff from the 90s - current. When I was starting out in guitar I always read people in forums and magazines saying how "90s grunge ruined music, theres no good new music" and all that bollocks so being an impressionable teenager I just assumed they were right and didn't really give any of it a proper go. Then maybe a few years ago I decided to actually listen to it and realised how awesome the 90s were. And I'm annoyed for believing those stupid guitar nerd neckbeards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

•  Prince Fatty is a British producer who does reggae influenced stuff like Lily Allen and The Selecter ( oh and Hollie Cook who I worship from afar; plus her dad was in the Sex Pistols y'know) but has made a couple of solo project albums which are dub influenced (try the album Supersize). 

Just want to say thanks for this recommendation @EricTheWeary - I've got a few Prince Fatty albums now - and enjoyed them all - his stuff is quite varied depending on who he's collaborating with/producing but all has a dub aspect. I saw him live last month. Really good. 

Supersize if brilliant - I like the hip hop covers. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited June 2017
    I'm loving  most late 80s early 90s  dance and rave, its fantastic, there is  alot more talent involved than people think, programming a drum beat that technical, and all the synth work is an art in itself, give it a go! 
  • I'm loving  most late 80s early 90s  dance and rave, its fantastic, there is  alot more talent involved than people think, programming a drum beat that technical, and all the synth work is an art in itself, give it a go! 
    Give us some examples@strangefan - what you loving?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    I always thought Wishbone Ash were a folk band so avoided them for years :) then as above, heard Argus about 10 years ago and was astounded. Great guitar band.

David Bowie took me a long time, for some reason, given so many friends were rabid fans. 

Kate Bush too...what I remember from my youth is Kate being pilloried by various comedians, and we all thought she was nuts. Then I discovered she was close to genius.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300

Prince Fatty is a British producer who does reggae influenced stuff like Lily Allen and The Selecter ( oh and Hollie Cook who I worship from afar; plus her dad was in the Sex Pistols y'know) but has made a couple of solo project albums which are dub influenced (try the album Supersize). 

Just want to say thanks for this recommendation @EricTheWeary - I've got a few Prince Fatty albums now - and enjoyed them all - his stuff is quite varied depending on who he's collaborating with/producing but all has a dub aspect. I saw him live last month. Really good. 

Supersize if brilliant - I like the hip hop covers. 

Wow - that worked! :astonished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, I'd say Big Wreck.

Had heard of them but knew nothing about them and wasn't remotely interested until a mate actually played them to me - the first song I heard was "Ladylike" - and I was just blown away. The songs are great, Ian Thornley's voice is killer and his guitar work is even more so.

The recent albums in particular have stunning bass and drum work too. And the arrangements are really nicely crafted - little details like the use of multi-tracked 12-strings, or mandolin/banjo parts. Really makes a difference - and pleases my inner gear nerd greatly.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I'm loving  most late 80s early 90s  dance and rave, its fantastic, there is  alot more talent involved than people think, programming a drum beat that technical, and all the synth work is an art in itself, give it a go! 
    Here you go sir :) 

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10339
    Skid Row.

Was massively into Guns n Roses at the time and dismissed SR as just another hair metal band.Randomly heard a couple of songs two or three years ago which prompted me to give a greatest hits album a go.Not sure about Subhuman Race but the first two albums,especially Slave To The Grind,are bloody brilliant.Some fantastic riffs on the second album.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • I'm loving  most late 80s early 90s  dance and rave, its fantastic, there is  alot more talent involved than people think, programming a drum beat that technical, and all the synth work is an art in itself, give it a go! 
    Here you go sir :) 

Brilliant!!!! Makes me nostalgic for everything other than the come down!!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • R.E.M. Of course I've known the singles for years, never disliked them but never gave them much of a listen. 

This year I got Out of Time, Automatic and Monster and listened to them for the first time in one go. This is seriously good music, brilliant songwriting and harmonies. Peter Buck's oh so tasteful guitar (if a little ott on the tremolo on monster!). Of the three Automatic is the masterpiece. I find myself playing Drive everytime I pick up my Taylor. 

Will be working my way through their other albums soon.