Boss MS-3 Multi-Effects Loop Switcher just announced...

What's Hot

Comments

• jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    I haven't got a problem with the screen, once everything is programmed in and I'm playing it's not like I'm going to be looking at it.
    Also there's the editor so I'll probably set it all up using that.
    so far I'm really liking mine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PaulMHPaulMH Frets: 16
    Does anyone know if the midi on the MS3 can be used to turn on/off a patch on a mobius and/or timeline, as well as switch patch, so that I don't have to use up any of the 3 loops on those?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    PaulMH said:
    Does anyone know if the midi on the MS3 can be used to turn on/off a patch on a mobius and/or timeline, as well as switch patch, so that I don't have to use up any of the 3 loops on those?
    Paul, I didnt manage to have time to do this on mine, but Im 99% that this is possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    edited July 2017
    Well, sadly, I am now returning my MS-3. 

It's a good and very capable unit, and I liked it but didnt love it. I have a Helix coming in a few days (for my 50th), so the MS-3 was always up against it anyway.

For the record (and I can believe that Im saying this) I felt that some of the effects needed more tweak ability - more virtual knobs at times. I guess this is the result though, tbf, of owning a FX8 and the Helix. 

None of the sounds really stood out for me. The verbs and delays were 'ok', as were the drives. As ever, ymmv...

Ive actually learn a lot from owning it briefly though. It has made me consider which 3 pedals awould be most valuable in the 3 loops; as a result, I tried 3 or 4 Boss pedals (real uns) hoping that these would replace some of the more expensive boutique ones. Sadly, they couldnt !

The upshot is that my analogue board is completed, probably for the first time in a very long while ! 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I've just ordered one - I was very impressed with Jack's one at the weekend. It will save a *lot* of tap dancing.

Sadly, if Line6 had listened to the suggestion I made in writing to their R&D department when I worked there 7 years ago for an M13 type box with programmable signal chains, with a couple of loops to use a couple of pedals within those signal chains, then 1) I think L6 would have cleaned up, 2) perhaps that would have spawned some more products that weren't those dreadful bluetooth enabled bobbins, 3) the profits wouldn't have fallen and 4) Line6 UK would not have had to close, meaning I'd still be working for them. Opportunity missed... big time.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Dumb question: could one of these control the tremolo and reverb on my amp (Princeton 65 reissue)? 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    impmann said:
    I've just ordered one - I was very impressed with Jack's one at the weekend. It will save a *lot* of tap dancing.

Sadly, if Line6 had listened to the suggestion I made in writing to their R&D department when I worked there 7 years ago for an M13 type box with programmable signal chains, with a couple of loops to use a couple of pedals within those signal chains, then 1) I think L6 would have cleaned up, 2) perhaps that would have spawned some more products that weren't those dreadful bluetooth enabled bobbins, 3) the profits wouldn't have fallen and 4) Line6 UK would not have had to close, meaning I'd still be working for them. Opportunity missed... big time.

I had no idea Line 6 UK had to close. Sad times!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    impmann said:

I had no idea Line 6 UK had to close. Sad times!
    2015, chap. Yamaha took over distribution in Europe of L6 products and all us old-timers were made redundant.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Dumb question: could one of these control the tremolo and reverb on my amp (Princeton 65 reissue)? 
    Yup; all the Boss switchers feature 'CTL OUT' ports that allow for latching switch operation, relevant to amp channel switching and switching on pedals like Strymon or JHS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1846
    Can any users tell me if it has an AC3 type acoustic simulator included in the effects 
    Can any users tell me if it has an AC3 type acoustic simulator included in the effects 
    Yes it does.
    Oh hell

Right, I need to have one of these in my life - I've prevaricated about it for long enough. With the building work at home in full swing it will have to be on 0% though -so  hopefully the finance provider wont write me any unhelpful letters to the house so the missis finds out!!!!!

Anyone know of any retailers that do 0% and do everything electronically?!!!!

Sainsbury's are doing a 36 month interest free credit card, £400 would be £11.11 a month, can't get better than that. @Travisthedog ;
    Can't be sneaky with a credit card though!!!!
    In fairness I have easily £350 of pedals that will need to go if this works for me, so I should just be upfront about it !!!
    Damn I slipped and bought one from PMT at lunchtime 

I must spend the time sorting it and learning to use it. Not my ususal approach of winging it and getting board 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Hope it works out for you @Travisthedog . I'm in the process of setting mine up at the moment - my pedalboard is suddenly looking a bit sparse and with acres of unused space. It used to be pleasingly complicated and busy to look at. But this is progress I guess - I should end up with a setup that does more, and with much easier switching, but less boxes. But also I may end up buying a smaller board...
    My plan is to get everything onto a pedatrain jr from a PT3! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    My plan is to get everything onto a pedatrain jr from a PT3! 
    That's quite a size reduction! I think I'll end up going from a 60cm x 40cm board to a 60cm x 30cm one - I'll still have a bit of space free, but I need 3 pedals at the front - Boss FV500H expression pedal, the MS-3, and a Digitech Looper, so I need the 60cm width.

I've been delaying things for some daft reason, tomorrow I'm going to get the whole shebang sorted and wired up, and start experimenting with some patches.