Boss MS-3 Multi-Effects Loop Switcher just announced...

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17613
    tFB Trader
    Bloody hell I want one!, I was going to get a es5, but getting one of these means I'd be able to get rid of half my board. One of those and my H9 I doubt I'd need any more fx for a long time.

just hope it's not shit!
    Would you really need one if you had an H9?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    Bloody hell I want one!, I was going to get a es5, but getting one of these means I'd be able to get rid of half my board. One of those and my H9 I doubt I'd need any more fx for a long time.

just hope it's not shit!
    Unfortunately yes! The h9 has a awesome pitch delay that I don't think anyone else does and I've wrote a couple of songs using it for my band! Plus the H9 has more 'wacky' fx on it too. (I'm trying to justify keeping it!) 
    tFB Trader

just hope it's not shit!
    Unfortunately yes! The h9 has a awesome pitch delay that I don't think anyone else does and I've wrote a couple of songs using it for my band! Plus the H9 has more 'wacky' fx on it too. (I'm trying to justify keeping it!) 
    I was thinking more the other way around. If you've got a looper with MIDI and an H9 you don't really need built in FX unless you are a really heavy user.
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    Ah sorry I get you, if I got the ms3 I can get rid of my DD500, RV5, EQ, Tuner, NS2 and put everything else on a nice small board. Win win.
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    Wow, this looks awesome. I love the design of the new Boss stuff. If the effects are all up there and as good as they sound in individual Boss pedals, I'm totally getting this.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Showing in shops at £399. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    ETA 23/6/17
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Agh, I may have held off the Helix LT if I'd known this was coming. Slow Gear, Tera Echo, the FB2, so much fun stuff onboard.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    So assuming these are GT-100 algos - how do they sound?
    For the most part they're very good, however there are a few duds and a couple of bugs in the GT-100 such as the tap tempo which Drew alludes to. I don't use tap tempo so it doesn't bother me. That said that particular bug might be ironed out for this processor. I couldn't tell you what the fuzz's are like either as I hate fuzz! The Sitar is awful too but most of the other stuff is either very good or pretty good. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    This is hotter than Scarlett Johanssen getting out of the bath.

I'm a big fan of the GT100 apart from its massive footprint, so this new unit could be awesome for me! I don't need amp modelling, just a few effects for writing, relay switching for my amp and its a bonus that i could have a real SD-1w in a loop too!

Boss are knocking it out of the park again, fair play!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    Shame it has the crap footswitches they've put on quite a lot of their new stuff now. Deal breaker for me...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ICBM said:
    Shame it has the crap footswitches they've put on quite a lot of their new stuff now. Deal breaker for me...
    Really?? I quite like them from a stompy-stompy perspective. But I guess you're saying the quality is low?
    longi said:
    So assuming these are GT-100 algos - how do they sound?
    For the most part they're very good, however there are a few duds and a couple of bugs in the GT-100 such as the tap tempo which Drew alludes to. I don't use tap tempo so it doesn't bother me. That said that particular bug might be ironed out for this processor. I couldn't tell you what the fuzz's are like either as I hate fuzz! The Sitar is awful too but most of the other stuff is either very good or pretty good. 
    Pretty much you're getting stock Boss pedals in a single unit. The Tera echo is nice, the delays are all serviceable - tap tempo bollocks aside - and the reverbs are straight from the RV5. The drives are all pretty crap as I recall, but there again I don't like pedal distortion anyway. Modulations are a mixed bag.

You wont find any Strymon levels of wowness, but you will find a lot of usable sounds, and in a unit this small... coupled with a few choice pedals, you could make a seriously good board.

My only worry is the 4 footswitch limitation. Not sure I could live with that.
    tFB Trader
    It has a couple of control input jacks on the back.
    Yep. Looks like you could do another 4 switches. That's pretty cool. I'm really liking this thing actually. It's like building a DIY Helix in a way. Use the built in stuff for the bog standard effects, use two loops for your special effects, and use another loop for your amps effects loop.

Only issue being is you can't re-order the loops.
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited June 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Yep. Looks like you could do another 4 switches. That's pretty cool. I'm really liking this thing actually. It's like building a DIY Helix in a way. Use the built in stuff for the bog standard effects, use two loops for your special effects, and use another loop for your amps effects loop.

Only issue being is you can't re-order the loops.
    Then you'd need another 4 loops, the ability to process 4 different intruenents at the same time, built in expressiom pedal, IR loader, a mic input, 2 1/4 outs and 2 xlr outs, spdif, an audio interface, the ability to reamp etc
    Sweetwater is retailing the unit a $399.99, it looks like it will be quite cheap (hopefully) over here!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS3Switcher

edited June 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:

My only worry is the 4 footswitch limitation. Not sure I could live with that.

It has 5 footswitches!

The FS-6 footswitch would give it 2 extra pedals that can be used with the assigns, that would open it even further.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ICBM said:
    Really?? I quite like them from a stompy-stompy perspective. But I guess you're saying the quality is low?
    No, I just don't like that type of switch, and I don't like the way they're set at a steep angle either.

I think it's unlikely Boss are using the really crap unreliable 3PDT switches which I really hate - I'm almost certain these are actually SPST momentary switches underneath.

It's just a shame they've felt the need to follow the fashion for this sort of switch, which is based on the modern trend for true bypass on standard pedals. Boss fixed the problems with that forty years ago...

The large plastic switches they've used on multi-FX up til now are almost totally reliable and feel much better in use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    edited June 2017
    You know, after years of buying pedals, Im coming to appreciate the simplicity of Boss... 
    Ive just got a DD2 which is an amazing sounding delay, especially considering its age.

Will the sounds on this unit sound as good as the individual Boss pedals ?

Either way, it looks like a stunning device, and this option (a la Helix) of combining 'real' pedals with modelled, via a virtual board AND midi potential - wow, exciting times !

Great value at that price, imho.

(PS I loved my ES5).