Amp "Sweet Spot" Question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    the sweet spot is pretty much as described in the above posts, whereas the "G spot" is a mythical thing that doesnt really exist so dont waste your time trying to find it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

If you install the Tone Stack Calculator from www.duncanamps.com/tsc you will get a good idea of what the three major tone stack do to the amp's response. Of course, YOUR amplifier will not have those component values in it but the 'shape' will be much the same, just the centre frequencies shifted. Then of course, most amps have some fixed Cs &Rs for basic voicing.

If I had to put a technical MO to the 'sweet spot' it is where the pre amp is producing a certain level of distortion, mainly even harmonics (smooth, nice) but the (PPull) output stage is just starting to go into distortion, mainly odd harmonics ('grit' a bit harsh.

But of course ALL this is horribly subjective.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's that moment of perfection that your amp had once for no apparent reason meaning you then spend the rest of your life pursuing 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Cabicular said:
    It's that moment of perfection that your amp had once for no apparent reason meaning you then spend the rest of your life pursuing 
    Wisdom awarded for this gem!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    paulnb57 said:
    Cabicular said:
    Wisdom awarded for this gem!
    Yeah - and another!
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited June 2017
    For me it's always been more about volume. There is a 1/2 to 3/4 point on many amps where you are getting enough gain, volume & speaker movement that the amp "feels" more responsive. Below that it's too flat, above that it's too compressed and raw. (Unless you're Neil Young)

I've never owned a boogie or channel switching amp so never had to fuss with eq.
    I set my amp for warm cleans and buy overdrives that have my ideal eq to go on top.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246

I've never owned a boogie or channel switching amp so never had to fuss with eq.
    I set my amp for warm cleans and buy overdrives that have my ideal eq to go on top.

The sweet spot on my F30 was returning it to the shop. YMMV. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom