folliculitis

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980

Anyone get this recurring shit in their scalp?

I'm at my wits end.....

I thought for a while diet was playing apart.....cut out sugar and cut way back on dairy but still it comes

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    have you tried Selsun Shampoo?

http://www.boots.com/selsun-shampoo-150ml-10033152

You can buy it over the counter at Boots.  

Did you go to see your GP?  You might have another condition that you need treated, like psoriasis.
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    In the days when i had enough hair to have problems with it...i used to get something similar...i found polytar shampoo to be really good...might be worth a try?
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    If it's definitely folliculitis you're likely to need a few weeks of antibiotics. Get your GP to do a swab of one of the pustules to help guide the antibiotic choice 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I'd go back your GP, hootsy.  I had a rash on my face and it turned out to be seborrheic eczema.  It was misdiagnosed by two GPs as rosacea and acne and the stuff they gave it made it worse.  Maybe get a referral to a Dermatologist, they can do a biopsy of your skin, if need be, and see if it is folliculitis and, if it is, what antibiotics it's sensitive to.  
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    edited June 2017

Thanks guys....had about 4 or 5 go's with the anti Bs and they worked every time but the "skin rash" made a comeback as soon as I stopped

I think there is something going on.....inside ears are very itchy too and ear itch gets bad again very quickly when hydrocortisone ear treatment stops

I had the cotton bud collection thing done but it came back from lab saying no growth.....I don't know if the no growth thing was because there was not enough pus on the swab for a conclusive test or what

Bing....I think I have had a wee touch of the seb derma thing in the recent past...

tested myself this morning for fasting blood sugar.....5.1

It's getting me down somewhat...I realise it's not much of a health problem compared tae what some guys go through on here but when I live like a monk and put in a Herculean effort of care only for it to rear up time after time....it kinda gets me down

I shall try for an appointment on Monday

PS I have been washing scalp and "hair" with Hibiscrub and it definitely has helped a little but still it comes....

phhhtttt

tae be or not tae be
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    edited June 2017
    I think you have Seborrheic Dermatitis...

Scalp

Synalar Gel - GP (Use as and when)
    Nizoral Shampoo - GP or Wilkinsons (Use as and when)
    Happy Shampoo - Sainsburys (Use all the time)

You can also use expensive stuff from Lush or Dead Sea Shampoos, as you're trying to avoid Sodium Laurel Sulphate (SLS) and you should try to avoid Gel/Hairspray/Mouse if you can - Clay or Wax may be better.

Ears/Eyebrows/Forehead
    Protopic - GP (Use as and when and stay out of the Sun)

Put it to the Doc and ask to be referred to the Dermatology Unit if he/she seems uncertain. Dermol is great as an Anti-Microbial Moisturizer and it soaks into the skin so that you don't look greasy etc.

Try to drop your Alcohol intake as much as possible and minimize Stress with Jethro Tull Anthology Box Sets, Wishbone's Ash's 'Argus' and other Progressive Rock Treasures - Joe Zawinul Syndicate if you prefer Jazz.

Schnozers.....you think it is possible/likely that the local GP skin expert who looked at my infected napper and declared..." yup, that's folliculitis' couild be wrong.... are they (seb and folli) similar in appearance ?

Nizoral disnae work either

tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:

Schnozers.....you think it is possible/likely that the local GP skin expert who looked at my infected napper and declared..." yup, that's folliculitis' couild be wrong.... are they (seb and folli) similar in appearance ?

Nizoral disnae work either

I think so - I had to go back 3/4 times before a GP referred me, including a Surgery change. As soon as I got to the Hospital Dermatology Department, I had 6 months worth of tests before they got it completely right, so definitely worth a 2nd opinion from a Consultant.

I was using Polytar for years before the sudden change and nothing worked. Nizoral doesn't work great for me, as Synalar Gel is the main thing, but it does clear any build up you have initially - Similar to what Diluted Raw Cider Vinegar does.
    ^ did they sort you out in the end?
    tae be or not tae be
    They did yeah - I've gone back to normal now thankfully, I just wish I'd been referred sooner! My hair might not have ended up so thin/balding in places, but I'm grateful to them.