Had a thought (tactical voting)

What's Hot
holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
I was having a poo and wondered whether this would work... Instead of announcing the number of votes each candidate got in each constituency, just announce the winner. Then people won't know how close the race was and would be more likely to vote for who they want. Is this feasible or is it dumb?
My V key is broken
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    edited June 2017
    So, don't tell anyone the tally of votes once they're counted, so they can't just jump in their time machine, go back a day and change their vote based on the actual result? 

Interesting plan
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    How about a better idea - replace the undemocratic FPTP system, which usually rewards the largest minority rather than the majority and encourages tactical voting, with a better system of election which represents the electorate fairly and makes tactical voting irrelevant?

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/single-transferable-vote

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24422
    ICBM said:
    How about a better idea - replace the undemocratic FPTP system, which usually rewards the largest minority rather than the majority and encourages tactical voting, with a better system of election which represents the electorate fairly and makes tactical voting irrelevant?

As correct as you are, let's just abandon that idea.  The public were offered the opportunity to move towards a more proportional system a few years back with the AV referendum and they emphatically choose the status quo. 

Thus reinforcing my long-held belief that most people are morons.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:

The public were offered the opportunity to move towards a more proportional system a few years back with the AV referendum and they emphatically choose the status quo. 

Thus reinforcing my long-held belief that most people are morons.
    No, they were offered a rigged choice between the status quo and an alternative which was perceived to favour the larger established parties - arguably the worst of all systems. They - probably rightly - chose to reject that.

The moron was Clegg, who ran straight into Cameron's intentional trap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Or people could just vote for what they want and see what happens.

Here's Brighton Pavillion:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/BrightonPavilionGraph.png

Did the people voting for the Green party waste their vote in the years until they won? No, because if they hadn't voted for them, people wouldn't have voted for them and won the seat.

The press and people on social media are happy to repeat clichés like "safe seat" and bang on about majorities, but then talk about "wasted votes". Last time I looked at this there were a couple of seats in the country were the majority was bigger than the number of non-voters, yet the people tell you it's a safe seat so don't bother voting. If the size of the majority matters (it does - it sends a strong signal about what policies people in that region want) then your vote hasn't been wasted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4649
    How about we move elections to a saturday/sunday and make voting compulsary.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    STV has its drawbacks too, see the Northern Ireland Assembly for more on this..
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22236
    How about we move elections to a saturday/sunday and make voting compulsary.

Overall costs would increase immensely through having to pay election staff more to work at the weekend. There would be issues around whether weekend voting would affect certain classes of voter in terms of turnout far more than others (for example, hotel and hospitality sectors would say the weekend was their busiest time. Polling attendance is liable to be harder for those folk if held at weekends). 

The Sun had an article that says the Electoral Commission had a 2008 consultation and found little evidence to say that voting figures would increase if voting were to be held on a Sunday. 

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2017
    It would mean schools that are used as polling stations don't have to close for the day, saving lots in childcare or lost wages for some

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22236
    It would mean schools that are used as polling stations don't have to close for the day, saving lots in childcare or lost wages for some
    About 1 in 10 schools are used for polling duties. Not all of them close. Some reported for 2015 that they arranged off-school visits for classes/year groups rather than shutting down completely. Obviously that is far harder to do with a snap election that gives you sod all prep time. 

Sunday voting would mean some savings in childcare and reduced lost wages for some people but not all. This is one of the problems with approaching voting time using the '9 to 5' working schedule. Those people who don't work 9 to 5 Mon-Fri - what demographics will they be from? Will moving to Sunday disadvantage one group excessively? In the more service orientated world that we live in, it has to be considered. 

You then move onto faith groups. Voting on a Saturday would be seen as wrong by more Orthodox Jews and the Keep Sunday Special crowd would have plenty to say about Sunday voting. Interestingly Alex Salmond floated the idea that the ScotRef vote could be on a Saturday but the religious considerations came into play. 

• holnrew said:
    I was having a poo and wondered whether this would work... Instead of announcing the number of votes each candidate got in each constituency, just announce the winner. Then people won't know how close the race was and would be more likely to vote for who they want. Is this feasible or is it dumb?

It is both feasible, in that it could easily be carried out, but also really dumb.
    To be honest I don't see what the problem with tactical voting is anyway, in lieu of a better electoral system.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    ICBM said:

This is the only election system that the results actually reflect the choices made by the voters.  Counting takes longer but so what?  An extra day or two hardly matters....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    Rocker said:
    ICBM said:

This is the only election system that the results actually reflect the choices made by the voters.  Counting takes longer but so what?  An extra day or two hardly matters....

I can't work out whether you're defending first past the post or agreeing that single transferrable vote would be better.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7297
    online voting, assuming it could be made secure would solve scheduling issues and vote counting issues, i bet it would increase turn out too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ