Think bike, think biker...

What's Hot

Comments

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    edited June 2017
    cacophony said:
    cruxiform said:
    I wish more would. I was out riding this morning and it appears I am invisible, which is surprising as I'm an 18 stone bloke on a 1200cc motorbike.
    you see, i would counter that by saying, that surely it's us car drivers that are invisible?. that can be the only rational explanation as to why as i sat in the road with my indicator going, waiting to turn right into a side road,a man on a motorbike decided to overtake me at about 50mph just as i commenced my turn, then after i slammed on my brakes and applied quite a bit of pressure to my horn (ooh-err), he turned round in the saddle and gave me the 'wanker' sign. but wait, that means i can't be invisible as he could clearly see me. hmmm... that doesn't make sense...
    I'm a car driver too as well as ride a bike. All I can say is that I have more near misses on the bike than I do in the car. It's not because I'm riding like a loon. In fact the reason they are near misses is because I ride defensively and can anticipate car driver's actions. Otherwise they might be incidents. When driving the car I always do a quick lifesaver look over my right shoulder before any right hand move. Not sure if they teach that in the current driving test but I think they should. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    Never quite understood the inabilty of (poorly trained c/w most riders) drivers to see a bike - unless the rider wears a dayglo jacket and has a white fairing...

That looks at a glance like plod.

Remarkably selective vision, car drivers.

Now, if it was a prerequisite to a car test was a bike licence...

I rode a white R80RT for a while, having previously owned a smoke red R100RT.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I think bikers need to think about their vulnerability when they're out on their two-wheeled steeds.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33834
    prowla said:
    I think bikers need to think about their vulnerability when they're out on their two-wheeled steeds.
    We do- it is mostly what we think about.

Car drivers (and I am one of those too) need to think about not killing people (other car drivers, cyclists, motorcyclist and pedestrians) in order to get to the next traffic light a few seconds quicker too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4813
    All the years ive been driving a car, it seems to me that some bikers feel they can disregard the laws of the road, speed, cut you up, overtake on blind corners, and generally think they own the road.

Obviously thats not ALL bikers.....Just 95%.
    And i say that being from a family of a few bikers.

Not saying car drivers dont do the same, but there seems to be a bigger percentage of bikers that are maniac speedfreaks, compared to car drivers.

Different vehicles have different acceleration and braking performance. What might be unsafe for a car might be perfectly safe for a fast motorcycle. Things can look far worse from a car drivers seat than it does from the riders viewpoint. Gaps that are huge for a bike may look small to the car driver observing them go past. The amount of time needed to overtake safely can also be vastly different. All without breaking the law. 

There's no "wrong side of the road" unless there's a traffic sign or white paint enforcing something. I'm perfectly capable of safely overtaking a car on a left hand bend on a rural road where the car driver has no view of what's coming the other way. Because my head is higher, I can see over the hedges. My positioning to the right means I can see my course is clear and safe. 

The trouble is, not all motorcyclists are trained to do this safely and to know when not to even try. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    All the years ive been driving a car, it seems to me that some bikers feel they can disregard the laws of the road, speed, cut you up, overtake on blind corners, and generally think they own the road.

Not saying car drivers dont do the same, but there seems to be a bigger percentage of bikers that are maniac speedfreaks, compared to car drivers.

Different vehicles have different acceleration and braking performance. What might be unsafe for a car might be perfectly safe for a fast motorcycle. Things can look far worse from a car drivers seat than it does from the riders viewpoint. Gaps that are huge for a bike may look small to the car driver observing them go past. The amount of time needed to overtake safely can also be vastly different. All without breaking the law. 

There's no "wrong side of the road" unless there's a traffic sign or white paint enforcing something. I'm perfectly capable of safely overtaking a car on a left hand bend on a rural road where the car driver has no view of what's coming the other way. Because my head is higher, I can see over the hedges. My positioning to the right means I can see my course is clear and safe. 

The trouble is, not all motorcyclists are trained to do this safely and to know when not to even try. 

Exactly.

Bikes are progressing vehicles- they are designed to get ahead of the traffic.
    Clearly there are safe and unsafe ways of doing this but most car drivers don't understand what is safe or unsafe on a bike.

I actually think it is about ego- people don't like being 'beaten' by a bike.
    I've had people yell at me for filtering, despite it being perfectly legal and the safest place to be.
    I've had dicks in white vans turn their wheel to block the space between two cars purely to stop me from coming through- it is just arrogance and selfishness.
    It seems to be more of a problem up north- people down south seem more chilled about it.
    If we were all in cars then they'd get nowhere so imho they should stop being dickheads and just let us through.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2017
    I cycle, as well as drive. I've passed 3 tests; motorbike, car and minibus.

My one conclusive finding after many years of research is thus: 

There are fuck heads on the roads. 

Some of them drive motor vehicles, some of them ride bikes (either motorised or mechanical) and some do more than one. 

I always think, that if you wouldn't react towards someone in a certain way whilst sharing a pavement, you shouldn't do it on the road.

Fat chance though, because fuck heads.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NickLNickL Frets: 153
    Sporky said:
    ...think bikiest?

Or think bikest?

Or think "most bike" or "most bikey"?

Can you be more bike?
    The answer is none. None more bike.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4813
    NickL said:
    Sporky said:
    ...think bikiest?

Or think bikest?

Can you be more bike?
    My bike goes up to eleven.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27185

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    NickL said:
    Sporky said: 
    ...think bikiest?

Or think bikest?

Can you be more bike?
    A much better answer than most of them.

This wasn't meant to be a bike vs car thread.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    Sporky said:
    NickL said:
    Sporky said: 
    ...think bikiest?

Or think bikest?

Can you be more bike?
    A much better answer than most of them.

This wasn't meant to be a bike vs car thread.
    Reminds me of the pike vs carp thread on theFishBoard.co.uk 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132

Reminds me of the pike vs carp thread on theFishBoard.co.uk 
    When 'pike' won, were the 'carp' team changed people forever? 
  • octatonic said:

Exactly.

Clearly there are safe and unsafe ways of doing this but most car drivers don't understand what is safe or unsafe on a bike.

I've had people yell at me for filtering, despite it being perfectly legal and the safest place to be.
    I've had dicks in white vans turn their wheel to block the space between two cars purely to stop me from coming through- it is just arrogance and selfishness.
    It seems to be more of a problem up north- people down south seem more chilled about it.
    If we were all in cars then they'd get nowhere so imho they should stop being dickheads and just let us through.

Yeah, there are probably proportionally the same number of shit motorcyclists as car drivers but many more cars on the road. 

I sometimes see bikes overtaking a car, on the right, that is indicating it'll go right - which is obviously shit motorcyclist. 

I've seen cars intentionally narrow the gaps in traffic to stop bikes filtering. Sod that - I'd rather the more vulnerable user was *way* ahead of me, where I can't hurt them. Dick car driver. 

I've noticed a general trend over the last 8 years or so that road users seem to be less patient and take more risk. I don't know why. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

Exactly.

Yeah, there are probably proportionally the same number of shit motorcyclists as car drivers but many more cars on the road. 

I sometimes see bikes overtaking a car, on the right, that is indicating it'll go right - which is obviously shit motorcyclist. 

I've seen cars intentionally narrow the gaps in traffic to stop bikes filtering. Sod that - I'd rather the more vulnerable user was *way* ahead of me, where I can't hurt them. Dick car driver. 

I've noticed a general trend over the last 8 years or so that road users seem to be less patient and take more risk. I don't know why. 
    Yes and I should say I see a lot of bad riding from motorcyclists.
    This isn't a driver vs rider argument, it is a normal person vs dickhead argument.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657

I think it's you getting old and grumpy, plus a healthy dose of confirmation bias. ;)

octatonic said:

This isn't a driver vs rider argument, it is a normal person vs dickhead argument.
    No it isn't. It's a thread about stickers!

I still think "think bikiest" sounds righter.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9861
    On the back of this thread, I'm thinking of getting a sticker that says "Think Horse, Think Horser". There was another version I considered where the second word rhymed with bank, to illustrate passive-aggressively my disdain for the poor drivers in and around Birmingham.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Think Brick...brick loves lamp.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sporky said:
    ...think bikiest?

Or think bikest?

Can you be more bike?

DAM YOU SINES AND STICKERS YOU'RE GRAMMER IS POUR AND CONFUZING.
    I thought it was thinkiest bikiest ... 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    Contemplate velocipede
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!