Seriously impressive! Balls of solid rock!

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited June 2017 in Off Topic
I don't often froth about climbing outside of the climbing community, but this is an achievement that bridges the gap and is worth sharing. Alex has been one of my favorite climbers for years, but as a free climber, I've always dreaded getting the news that he's finally fallen off something and died. I'm glad he kept this project secret, I'd have been having kittens if I'd known! 

Now I like to do the odd free climb, it's liberating and feels amazing. Really concentrates the mind. I've never free climbed anything near the top of my climbing ability grade wise, it's always something I know I can comfortably do and preferably something I've climbed a few times before. (My favorite free solo was Grooved Arete on Tryfan in the Ogwen Valley for anyone that knows their climbs. It's about 200 meters of rock but finishes 850m above the ground and has a couple of scary pitches, but plenty of places to sit and rest). 

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/features/athletes/alex-honnold/most-dangerous-free-solo-climb-yosemite-national-park-el-capitan/

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    Impressive but rather you guys than me…….even if I had the ability I wouldn't have the balls
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1312
    It seems unnecessarily reckless.

Surely it's technically or physically no more or less difficult than if you have ropes to catch you.  I'm struggling a bit to think of a comparison.  I know a lot of sports are reckless to varying extents, but to free-solo seems a lot like a racing driver who elects to not wear a helmet.  No more or less challenging, just much more serious consequences should something go wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    sinbaadi said:

Surely it's technically or physically no more or less difficult than if you have ropes to catch you.  I'm struggling a bit to think of a comparison.  I know a lot of sports are reckless to varying extents, but to free-solo seems a lot like a racing driver who elects to not wear a helmet.  No more or less challenging, just much more serious consequences should something go wrong.
    Climbing is as much a psychological battle as a physical one. It's to do with forming the fight or flight response, which, when harness and controlled in a certain way makes you stronger, and with keener senses. Free solo climbing is about the joy of moving over the rock without having to stop and place protective gear every few yards. It's a very personal choice. 

Climbing is about assessing risk and then deciding whether the risks are acceptable for the rewards. The same is true of any sport or adventurous activity. There are far too many kids growing up without the ability to assess risk or even be exposed to it today. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Just reading that made my hands sweaty.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Seriously impressive!

Can't wait for the film the article mentions.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10453
    How did he get down afterwards ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Mountain rescue team as the fire brigade were too busy dealing with cats in trees :)
    Danny1969 said:
    How did he get down afterwards ?
    El Cap, like most big lumps of rock, has an easy way up and down as well as sheer cliffs. Just like Ben Nevis, you can walk up the tourist track (Yawn) or have an epic day climbing The Douglas Boulder and Tower Ridge. 

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Amazing achievement. Can you imagine how fit and disciplined you have to be to cope with the physical exertion and intense concentration for almost four hours?  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24426
    edited June 2017
    Brain of solid rock more like.

Goddamned irresponsible...  Playing games with life.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited June 2017
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12413
    I love watching free climbing although Great for a single guy, if you have kids then I think it's a bit dickish putting them at risk of losing a dad for the sake of ego.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    sinbaadi said:

Climbing is as much a psychological battle as a physical one. It's to do with forming the fight or flight response, which, when harness and controlled in a certain way makes you stronger, and with keener senses. Free solo climbing is about the joy of moving over the rock without having to stop and place protective gear every few yards. It's a very personal choice. 

Climbing is about assessing risk and then deciding whether the risks are acceptable for the rewards. The same is true of any sport or adventurous activity. There are far too many kids growing up without the ability to assess risk or even be exposed to it today. 
    I have assessed the risk, and I can confirm that it is too risky!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited June 2017
    I love watching free climbing although Great for a single guy, if you have kids then I think it's a bit dickish putting them at risk of losing a dad for the sake of ego.
    I recently watched a documentary about Wingsuit flying & its evolution from skydiving and BASE jumping. Halfway through the documentary I realised that all the pioneers in this young sport were being talked about in the past tense.  o

There's a good documentary about El Cap and climbing in Yosemite on Netflix- Valley Uprising. Loads of my mates are climbers, I'm fine with heights... but some of the stuff they do scares the life out of me. That said, none of them can understand why I like martial arts. 

edited June 2017
    I recently watched a documentary about Wingsuit flying & its evolution from skydiving and BASE jumping. Halfway through the documentary I realised that all the pioneers in this young sport were being talked about in the past tense.  o

There's a good documentary about El Cap and climbing in Yosemite on Netflix- Valley Uprising. Loads of my mates are climbers, I'm fine with heights... but some of the stuff they do scares the life out of me. That said, none of them can understand why I like martial arts. 

I've got Valley Uprising, great film. Also worth watching is The Asgard Project, Leo Holdings film about a remote Alaskan mountain big wall climb.