wireless - L6 g30 still the best value?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
I could do with getting a new wireless (my smoothhound fell apart for second time at the weekend),   so I'm not keen on the bug type and prefer a transmitter pack - I like the idea of using a normal short cable into it as well to keep repairs simple.      
I assume the g30 is still the one to beat?    Happy to spend a bit more if it's worth it for something that will cope with gigs and sound good. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Just so you know, I use the G10 and love it.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I loved the simplicity and sound quality of the smoothhound and would expect the same from the g10 but the SH didn't fit an ibanez socket - how does the g10 fit?      
    How long does it take to charge? Not being able to put fresh batteries in if I'm caught out is a worry - does it have good metering of battery life?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    John_P said:

I assume the g30 is still the one to beat?    Happy to spend a bit more if it's worth it for something that will cope with gigs and sound good. 
    Dunno if the G30 is the "one to beat" but I never stop singing its praises. 
    Never got out of range.  No drop outs.  Sounds "invisible", takes 2xAA batteries which you can get anywhere and last a couple of gigs; connects to your guitar with any instrument cable (i.e. you don't need a proprietary cable); and the receiver sits on your board like any other pedal and runs off 9v.
    Solid. 
    Apart from the battery door compartment -- and you only need a couple of rubber bands to make that 1000% reliable, gig after gig.
    John_P said:
    I loved the simplicity and sound quality of the smoothhound and would expect the same from the g10 but the SH didn't fit an ibanez socket - how does the g10 fit?      
    How long does it take to charge? Not being able to put fresh batteries in if I'm caught out is a worry - does it have good metering of battery life?
    When you say an Ibanez socket, do you mean the recessed, angled ones as found on the Jem?
    John_P said:
    When you say an Ibanez socket, do you mean the recessed, angled ones as found on the Jem?
    Yes - the SH wouldn't fit meaning I had to use an adapter and cable which I hated.  If the g10 is the same then it's a non starter. 
    I can check tomorrow and take a pic if that would help?
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 616
    I haven't tried any others but the solid, reliable performance of my G30 over the many years I've had it means I haven't had to.
    If ever I needed to replace it,  it would be with another one. 
    I can see how the battery door could be a problem for some but I've never had an issue with it. The fact that you can replace the batteries is a big plus point for me. I use rechargeables and just keep a pair of regular batteries as back up. Never had to use them though. 
    So for me,  yes, the G30 is the one to beat. 
    Don't go to any trouble - when you have chance to check how well it fits a jem I'd appreciate it.        
    The other issue I just spotted - the g10 won't run from a power supply and needs it own usb supply - that's a bit of a pain unless there is an adaptor that would work?
    Starting to feel like I should stick with the plan to get a g30.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I maybe selling my Shure GLX16 system which is amazing if you're interested. Haven't had the heart to put it up for sale yet :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    John_P said:
    Don't go to any trouble - when you have chance to check how well it fits a jem I'd appreciate it.        
    The other issue I just spotted - the g10 won't run from a power supply and needs it own usb supply - that's a bit of a pain unless there is an adaptor that would work?
    Starting to feel like I should stick with the plan to get a g30.

There's an adaptor that allows for normal charging too.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I "upgraded" to a G70 and a couple of transmitters
    build quality is better, performance is far worse
    occassional drop outs and about 1/3rd the range of the G30
    Not good
    7 years of use with the G30s and not an issue
    only upgraded as the transmitter packs are starting to get a bit worse for wear. Wish I hadn't bothered
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    Cabicular said:
    I "upgraded" to a G70 and a couple of transmitters
    build quality is better, performance is far worse
    occassional drop outs and about 1/3rd the range of the G30
    Not good
    7 years of use with the G30s and not an issue
    only upgraded as the transmitter packs are starting to get a bit worse for wear. Wish I hadn't bothered

I've not got any experience of the G30, but my G70 experience has also not been good. Drop-outs and poor range. It's currently back at the retailer who have sent it back to Line6. I'm going to press for a refund as it's not actually usable because of the drop-outs.

I don't know whether to try a G90 or not (I'm looking rack-based as I have a Helix Rack + Controller).

R.
    I've tried it side by side in the house and the G30 gets everywhere
    the G70 drops out at the first flight of stairs
    That seems good but the house is open plan!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Cabicular said:
    I've tried it side by side in the house and the G30 gets everywhere
    the G70 drops out at the first flight of stairs
    That seems good but the house is open plan!
    I thought you were going to say you live in a bungalow then ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 839
    edited June 2017
    I use the G30 no problems except the belt attach thing broke off straight away. No problem just stick it in your back pocket! Never failed me although when doing a guitar solo outside the pub on the other side of the road a police van stopped and blocked my signal lol!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    I guess that is why the g70 is suddenly being discounted. 239 in andertons and price drops elsewhere.
  • Didn't Line 6 issue some firmware updates for the G70. Have any of those improved the G70's performance?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    I believe I applied all available firmware updates. I did not notice any appreciable difference.
    Didn't Line 6 issue some firmware updates for the G70. Have any of those improved the G70's performance?
    No
    I suspect the issue is the G70 is the only unit that doesn't support RF1. Its RF2 only with no way to change it.
    When I had the g30s set to RF2 I had all sorts of issues. The G70 seems to be the same

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom