Battery Pedal Power

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24374
    timmysoft said:
    I've got the rockboard XL and it works great.
    I've had three of them, they've all had faults 
    Wow!

I wonder if I have a good one, or you've had crappy luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    timmysoft said:
    I've got the rockboard XL and it works great.
    I've had three of them, they've all had faults 
    Wow!

I wonder if I have a good one, or you've had crappy luck.
    The lovely chaps at Hotrox are taking mine in for a warranty repair. I've seen a few other people with problems on these though, the switch seems to be a fault on earlier serial number models. They do feel a little flimsy but they're priced excellently.

I used to tour with a sanyo eneloop, so i'm judging it against that. Battery life id just as good but the build is not as sturdy. It is more compact though.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222
    I notice you said about locking it inside your amp cab which has left me a little perplexed.

If you are (presumably) already powering the amp why not just get a cheapish power supply for the flint, and a double socket extension lead that you plug both the flint and the amp into? You can still attach it inside the cab if you wish, but will have less hassle than batteries going mid-gig. I also suspect that within a month this will prove cheaper than batteries are ever going to be (the flint will eat them).
  • I notice you said about locking it inside your amp cab which has left me a little perplexed.

If you are (presumably) already powering the amp why not just get a cheapish power supply for the flint, and a double socket extension lead that you plug both the flint and the amp into? You can still attach it inside the cab if you wish, but will have less hassle than batteries going mid-gig. I also suspect that within a month this will prove cheaper than batteries are ever going to be (the flint will eat them).
    To be honest, it's more laziness that I don't want to have to plug the flint in every time. If I can only have one cable out the back of the amp it would be better. The power adapters arrived today so I will try them out and if all else fails I will just use the power supply.
  • So the cables arrived yesterday and I have managed to give it ago. Runs perfectly with no issues or hum. It will be interesting to see how long the battery lasts as it's only about 2500mAh. I now have a nice Nano+ board with the flint inside the amp (only as it wouldn't fit).

Thanks for all the input
    Martin

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

" It will be interesting to see how long the battery lasts as it's only about 2500mAh."

Indeed but the A/H number is not a linear relationship. If you pull substantially LESS than 2.5 A from the battery it will last much longer than the simple equation would suggest. Similarly if you pulled 25 amps(!) you would definitely NOT get six minutes!

And yes, you CAN pull a very high short term current from modern batteries. I would aver some form of fusing inside the gear but it is rarely done afaik.

Dave.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I notice you said about locking it inside your amp cab which has left me a little perplexed.

To be honest, it's more laziness that I don't want to have to plug the flint in every time. If I can only have one cable out the back of the amp it would be better. The power adapters arrived today so I will try them out and if all else fails I will just use the power supply.

Get a long two gang extension cable - hammer it the back of the amp. Plug the amp and the Flint into the two gang extension. Sorted!
  • Gagaryn said:

Get a long two gang extension cable - hammer it the back of the amp. Plug the amp and the Flint into the two gang extension. Sorted!
    I did think about doing that but want to keep things as neat as possible. Seems to be working well at the moment. It's also useful to have if I want to power a single pedal on the go.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222
    Gagaryn said:

I did think about doing that but want to keep things as neat as possible. Seems to be working well at the moment. It's also useful to have if I want to power a single pedal on the go.
    Neat?

Dude I am worried you are gonna spend half your life in the back of that amp looking for the battery that you just dropped and can't distinguish from the one you just took out. Well done for sticking to your original idea but there is nothing neat about pedals dying mid-gig.

Sounds to me like you like making work for yourself, @Gagaryn had the most cost effective and tidy suggestion so far.

• Gagaryn said:

Neat?

Dude I am worried you are gonna spend half your life in the back of that amp looking for the battery that you just dropped and can't distinguish from the one you just took out. Well done for sticking to your original idea but there is nothing neat about pedals dying mid-gig.

Sounds to me like you like making work for yourself, @Gagaryn had the most cost effective and tidy suggestion so far.

considering it cost less than £10 it's worth trying out short term. If the pedal does cut it out makes no odds as I have a brilliant built in tube spring reverb. The flint just gives more options. I will see how it goes and can always still the power supply in with an extension as people have suggested :)