ThorpyFX Warthog - Inform Me

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
in FX tFB Trader
It turns out I loved the Thorpy Peacekeeper so much I ended up buying a Warthog to go with it :)

Only had a brief go with it, but I'm liking what I hear so far. It's hairier and fuzzier than the Gunshot (which was good, just a bit too smooth for me). I've noticed that like the Gunshot it likes humbuckers more than SCs.

Interested in how fellow Warthog users are using theirs. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I use mine as an all rounder tbh. I can use it as a boost dialling in some lo gain settings but also able to dial up a massive sound. It's seen off my cruiser Deuce for the time being. More versatile pedal than it appears initially. Just need to spend some time with it and I reckon you get most drive sounds out of it 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I like to stick a tubescreamer in front of it
    takes the wooliness out of it and makes it proper searing rock tone
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Can't find it on my phone but I did a thread about my settings for a WRthog into Peacekeeper. Worth giving it a go
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader

Brilliant thanks fella.

Do you have both PKs on with the warthog?
    No that was just for testing purposes. I use the one after the Warthog and the other is just used in isolation at the moment. With the advent of the Helix, this is all within the process of what I am and am not keeping, but chances are these will hang around for a while.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    No that was just for testing purposes. I use the one after the Warthog and the other is just used in isolation at the moment. With the advent of the Helix, this is all within the process of what I am and am not keeping, but chances are these will hang around for a while.
    There could be a situation that I just might need a PK. Keep me informed if you ever think of moving one on :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    tFB Trader
    Had a bit another brief chance to try the Warthog and I'm very impressed.

I can see why perhaps it's not as popular a pedal as the Gunshot/PK/Fallout as it's really hard to compare it to anything (possibly the Skreddy Screwdriver). I think it's the most unique pedal in the Thorpy line up and hugely versatile. 

I had it pegged as the higher gain or distortion version of the Gunshot, but it really isn't that at all. More of a sort of hybrid fuzz overdrive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yep. Its quite unique. Hard to market since its so versatile, yet that's its complete strength
  • Had a bit another brief chance to try the Warthog and I'm very impressed.

I can see why perhaps it's not as popular a pedal as the Gunshot/PK/Fallout as it's really hard to compare it to anything (possibly the Skreddy Screwdriver). I think it's the most unique pedal in the Thorpy line up and hugely versatile. 

I had it pegged as the higher gain or distortion version of the Gunshot, but it really isn't that at all. More of a sort of hybrid fuzz overdrive.

From all the descriptors I've heard, and the demos, it seems to sit somewhere in the rat family - capable of overdrive, crunch and fuzz. 

I know thorpy is keen on giving unique twists to his pedals (his take on the muff really is something) so I've no doubt it's a stonking good pedal. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    Had a bit another brief chance to try the Warthog and I'm very impressed.

From all the descriptors I've heard, and the demos, it seems to sit somewhere in the rat family - capable of overdrive, crunch and fuzz. 

I know thorpy is keen on giving unique twists to his pedals (his take on the muff really is something) so I've no doubt it's a stonking good pedal. 
    Correct, it  does sit in that type of area, however it can do  sparkly clean boost, all the way through to fuzz. Like others have said, it's hard to market, however at guitar shows etc it's the one pedal that surprises people the most because their preconceptions expect it to be one thing when in fact it can be anything you want really. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    Tried the Warthog stacked into the PK as @hubobulous recommended and it's excellent. 

Really not what I expected as I usually like boosts into drives.