Recommend a S.S Amp for my Bandmate Please

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
edited June 2017 in Amps
He's asked for my advice and doesn't really want to go with valves, let's say Sub £500 for the amp( COMBO).

No Modelling(Cube, Katana, Code, Vox Equiv etc), just a straight 2 or 3 channel SS Amp. I'm thinking Orange Crush 60 is a winner. Can you get a dedicated footswitch with this amp?

There may be more makes and models though? Laney or Something else???????? I've only had a quick look, but solid state is not my expertise.

The amp is for gigging so simple is best...ie: Clean sound to Driven sound that you can match volume on easily. He may also use a pedal or two in front.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Orange Crush 60 or 120
    Peavey Bandit or Special
    Fender Champion 100

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 616
    Tech21 Trademark 60 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Beexter said:
    Tech21 Trademark 60 
    Lovely amps, but ime they won't do:
    ....Clean sound to Driven sound that you can match volume on easily. ...

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Bandit and a pedal. 
    Winner
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Secondhand Marshall VS100. It has a preamp tube, but otherwise low maintenance. I never had to change the one I owned. Loud enough to gig for sure.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1267
    He's asked for my advice and doesn't really want to go with valves, let's say Sub £500 for the amp( COMBO).

No Modelling(Cube, Katana, Code, Vox Equiv etc), just a straight 2 or 3 channel SS Amp. I'm thinking Orange Crush 60 is a winner. Can you get a dedicated footswitch with this amp?

To all intents and purposes the Katana is a straight 4 channel (but you don't have to use the extra one if you don't want to) SS amp. Yes it's modeling technology under the hood, but in use it's very well hidden.

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Koch Jupiter 45. A little bit over budget but who doesn't like a little Koch? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Blues cube artist.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3334
    Another plus one for the Roland Blues Cube Artist (used as new might be outside his budget and the footswitch is extra).

Shame he doesn't want modelling J as the Boss Katana 100 gets good reviews.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    Kebabkid said:

Yeah - I thought that as well, the Katana 100 is an obvious candidate and would leave budget for a backup amp as well, or some pedals!

What is the reason for the prejudice against digital and valve amps?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Kebabkid said:
    Another plus one for the Roland Blues Cube Artist (used as new might be outside his budget and the footswitch is extra).

Isn't the blues cube a modeller, ie, digital amp? 

If the insistence is not digital, probably got to be a peavey bandit, peavey special (!) or a orange crush Pro. 

• paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    i'll admit I'm a little out of touch with the current solid state products out there but,  if i had to get a SS amp i think i would get a blackstar ID**TVP (not the ID:Core).

a few years ago i was "this" close to getting one before i joined the valve appreciation society. 
    Kebabkid said:

If the insistence is not digital, probably got to be a peavey bandit, peavey special (!) or a orange crush Pro. 

I thought the Blues Cube was SS modelling ( if there is such a thing)rather than digital? Apart from being a bit over budget it ticks the other boxes anyway.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9737
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Kebabkid said:

I thought the Blues Cube was SS modelling ( if there is such a thing)rather than digital? Apart from being a bit over budget it ticks the other boxes anyway.

I think it's a digital amp, but uses plug in modules to access different models to make it seem more an analogue, traditional experience. I think, if they actually were solid state circuitry, it would be too costly to produce them versus a simple software unlock. 

Mind, that's just my speculation, could be way out. 

I'd not rule out a digital modeller anyway. The Katana amps sound great up loud. I'd take one of those over an orange crush probably. 
    Kebabkid said:

I think it's a digital amp, but uses plug in modules to access different models to make it seem more an analogue, traditional experience. I think, if they actually were solid state circuitry, it would be too costly to produce them versus a simple software unlock. 

Mind, that's just my speculation, could be way out. 

I'd not rule out a digital modeller anyway. The Katana amps sound great up loud. I'd take one of those over an orange crush probably. 
    Ahh, I remember being quite excited about the arrival of the Blues Cube and then playing one for ten minutes and experiencing a huge rush of dissapointment so I've not kept up since. I know they have those optional tone modules so that must be digital. 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    For straight up solid state I'd go for Peavey.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Bandit.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    Bucket said:
    Bandit.

There's no need for that, I only asked a simple question :(
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Koch Jupiter 45. A little bit over budget but who doesn't like a little Koch? 
    Technically hybrids as they have a valve preamp. Cracking sounding amps though, loved my Studiotone.

I'd go with a Blues Cube Stage/Artist - I thought the latest gen were all analogue.