Rock bigger than pop in album sales now.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10706
    viz said:

It's changed the way albums are constructed. Now every song on an album has to be designed to be an individually downloadable track. Before, the songs were more coherent. A "record" was a "record" of an event, that usually took place in a recording studio in Switzerland with real people in a real month. Now it's a random collection of useless 3 minute bits of candyfloss.

Years ago, an album was a snapshot of where a band was at that point in time, musically.

Dog, you just elloquently said in 18 words what I clumsily tried to in 66.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    EricTheWeary said: But, y'know, I think I was having this argument when I was 12.
    Yes, me also. It was dull then too.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Some people appear to be suggesting that a song can only be any good if it comes packaged with a load of other good songs....which must surely be a load of nonsense, no?

• No the implication is that some "artists" only have one "good" song in them so there's no point buying the album because the rest of the tracks will be toss. Course from my point of view the "good" track is probably also toss but im not the amrket for that music.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Some people appear to be suggesting that a song can only be any good if it comes packaged with a load of other good songs....which must surely be a load of nonsense, no?

That is a very... strange reading.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    viz said:
    viz said:

It's changed the way albums are constructed. Now every song on an album has to be designed to be an individually downloadable track. Before, the songs were more coherent. A "record" was a "record" of an event, that usually took place in a recording studio in Switzerland with real people in a real month. Now it's a random collection of useless 3 minute bits of candyfloss.

Years ago, an album was a snapshot of where a band was at that point in time, musically.

Maybe, but I knew what you were saying, Viz. And I agree.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72488
    I'm not sure it's totally true that albums were a record of a band's musical place and time - many classic albums were recorded over quite a long time period and in several different studios. And some of the ones that were recorded in a day or a week aren't musically coherent in any other way really, they're just a bunch of songs that the artist wanted to record. Until the late 60s the idea of complete albums as opposed to collections of individual songs didn't even exist really.

So I don't think *that* much has changed really - except that buyers now think of albums differently from how they did in the classic rock period, and actually more like they did in the jazz age and early rock era.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Maybe take a look at this recent BBC program: When Albums Ruled the World

duration 1:26

• vizviz Frets: 10706
    viz said:
    viz said:

Maybe, but I knew what you were saying, Viz. And I agree.

:) so can I have a wisdom please?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Seeing as you asked so nicely....