Another Telecaster partcaster build!

impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
edited July 2017 in Making & Modding
I said I'd build no more partcasters...

Oh well. This should be a great guitar... I've owned the body previously and it rang like a bell, plus weighs nothing. The Mojo Goldfoil should be a lovely combination with the Mojo 'Esquire' bridge pickup. I very nearly bought a Bigsby for this one... I still might. 

I still need to fit the neck properly and complete the wiring (Mojo loom). Then a new nut and it's done...
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    Looking good dude, very interested to hear how that goldfoil sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Very nice. Also wanna know what those pups sound like.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Yup - look forward to hearing how it sounds.  Certainly looks good :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Like!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Well... after a while playing it, I decided that the gold foil wasn't quite what I wanted. Plus the colour combo of the aged parchment pickguard against the yellow wasn't quite right... so I changed out the pickup for a PAF-alike I picked up recently and the pickguard for a black single ply plate I had in the drawer. Better! 

The big change was I fitted a Bigsby. I've fancied a Bigsby Tele for some time so I ordered a B5 and a Gotoh bridge with the back cut away to access the waggle bar. I strung it up and it looked like this: 

Whilst it undoubtedly looked cool, I just didn't like it. Try as I might, I just never get on with Bigsby trems. I love Strat units and the Jag/Jazzmaster is wonderful but... nope, the Bigsby just doesn't do it for me.

So off it came... I now have a Bigsby 'bite mark' on the front which is unfortunate but I can live with it til I can save up for a repaint. Currently it looks like this, but for how long remains to be seen...

I've since blocked up the holes with some dowel and it looks a darn sight better.

I've also decided that I don't like the humbucker - I took it to rehearsal yesterday and it really didn't cut though very well. Ah well, I have some Alegree pickups on order so they'll probably go into this. Its all part of the fun of developing a new guitar!

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I experimented with loads of neck pickups in teles before concluding I like a strat neck pickup best. Got Ash to make me one and it pairs brilliantly with the BK flat 50s bridge
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I really like The Creamery Tele neck size P90....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• @impmann Looks good, can I ask where you got the gotoh bridge with the back cut out?

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    I've since blocked up the holes with some dowel and it looks a darn sight better.

I've also decided that I don't like the humbucker - I took it to rehearsal yesterday and it really didn't cut though very well. Ah well, I have some Alegree pickups on order so they'll probably go into this. Its all part of the fun of developing a new guitar!
    I hope you'll find they hit the mark :) 
    They ought to be with you in a couple of days.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    @impmann Looks good, can I ask where you got the gotoh bridge with the back cut out?

I got it from eBay a while back.

Its coming back off when I swap the pickups out...and as I've sold the Bigsby it's no use to me. I've also got a GFS one with a Wilkinson roller bridge that I need to find a new home for.